Steve swamped and offline until further notice, sorry

Sorry all; have been, and will continue to be absent for another week or so. Things are verging on insane right now; food for another few threads for sure.

The eggs are fine Jean, although they do have a thick algal layer on them (I had them in the tank with the eggs on the upper surface of the rock slabs, instead of the under (the way they were collected)); I did it to ensure good circulation - it only effects the outermost capsule.

They're in a tank that might fluctuate 21-24°C, which is probably a darn-sight warmer than what you're circulating through yours. Last Thursday we sacrificed an embryo just to make sure that they were viable - it was ~ 40% embryo/60% egg yolk, with developing eyes and chromatophores, so they're quite ok.

I actually took a clump down to Kerry at the National Aquarium of NZ (Napier) on Friday - a whirlwind tour to collect something else - so we've got two bunches here and he has one there. Best not to have all eggs in one basket. You do have a copy of Hurst's project on these animals don't you? If not I can run a copy off (it is University of Otago anyway).

Have just returned from the Waitakere's, following a hunt for West Coast mysids (East Coast sources have dried up). After looking at many different locals I stumbled on a bonanza site - squirted a ton of O2 into the containers and whipped back with a trillion. We have thousands of starving baby octopus and broad squid, not to mention a ton of fish down at Kelly's that haven't fed for .... (I'll not say how long).

Will actually post a new thread in the conservation forum, given loss of maritime vegetation and excessive coastal siltation on the East Coast results in grossly elevated estuarine water temperatures, and lack of organic input (foliage), partly responsible for summer loss of mysids. Must be a collapse through the food chain. Have been taking pics of mysid habitat all this week (have been everywhere - Kawhia, Napier, Auckland East and West Coast, and have just located them; there are squillions in Napier, but I don't fancy the 11 hour, 1-day return drive too often, and we need those for the culture stock).

You get a ton of euphasiids coming into the harbour, but do you get mysids? Have you extensive Junctus grasses flanking the estuary down there? Should be a good place to look; great food for the wee Sepioloidea (I'd opt for this rather than amphipods)!

Just going through a rather full-on period here at work, and it's keeping me offline for long periods; sorry 'bout this. Things should settle down again in a week or so, and I'll be back on full steam.
O

Hey Ya

Ican't believe this site..it is awesome..I have been teaching Oceanography to third graders for about 4 years..I learned so much in a few days. I first learned of this site through a scholastic magazine about two weeks ago. There was an article about Steve O'Shea and his research on Giant Squids. I read it to my class..they are now hooked on the giant squids. Thanks Dr. O'Shea for the hard work. You inspired about 30 children in New Jersey and a 30 year old Teacher.(wanna be Oceanographer)

Gaetan (Tonmo Newbie)

Hi Gaetan, and a warm :welcome: ; what magazine article was this? It is definitely news to me.
Ta
Me

magazine article

Well...Scholastic is a huge publishing company (They publish harry Potter). They have a magazine that teaches reading and writing. It seems that the author of the article spent time with you looking for baby giants squids in NZ. Your article was the non-fiction read. Awesome pictures...

G

Just a wee note to the effect that I'm way busy at present, am hardly online, and am falling way behind in many matters. Things will not lighten up for at least several weeks, and probably a month (end of August). Hang in there; we'll come out at the end of it with a few interesting stories.

Steve

I hope not, Eric. I'm completely swamped at present, with no light apparent at the end of any tunnel. I'm terribly sorry, but I'm basically incommunicado until a few matters are resolved here.

You are left in the very capable hands of Kat, aka TTF.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back