Squid attraction to LED

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by tonmo, Feb 20, 2007.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

I received this real interesting email from TONMO.com visitor Manny. With his permission I am posting it here. Please reply with any input!

2. skydivemcbain

skydivemcbain Pygmy Octopus Registered

WOW!!! Very impressive, Was this light something purchased for bait collection, or a home-made light? I wonder if this was just a situation given the circumstances or if you found something very sacred.
    Congrats on that.This experiance would have made my day, even if I didn't fish the next day. Cheers

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I've noticed that there are sometimes phosphorescent things (algae? bacteria?) in the water off California that leave blue-green "trails" around larger items; scuba diving, you get a "St. Elmo's Fire" effect when night diving if you turn off your dive lights (I saw this in Laguna Beach), and I've been on the beach near Watsonville when you could walk along the waterline at night and leave glowing footprints. Anyway, I wonder if the blue-green LEDs look like the this effect around a prey animal the squids like, so they're more attracted to it as a potential food source than they are to the super-bright boat lights. This is a completely unfounded guess, of course, but it seems kinda plausible...

edit: This says they're dinoflagellates, and suggests that they may deliberately glow to attract predators to eat crustaceans that are feeding on them, which would fit with the squid attraction theory.

4. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

When we go out collecting shrimp and fish (or sometimes squid) at night, we can see bright little dinoflagellate flashes in front of us as we walk and disturb the water. These particular ones are blue. Once your eyes are adjusted, though, they look pretty bright! Amazing sight to see the water lighting up in front of you.

5. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

In HK, fisherfolks use the same large wattage lights to attract squid, but recently, there's been a quiet discussion going on about towing a much smaller Blue/green LED and even a glow-in-the-dark object underwater seems to be much more cost effective at catching said squid.

The idea behind white lights seems to be that:
    1) Lights attract fish, fish attracts squid.
    2) Lure in water reflects light like fish scales, squid gets confused (bad eyesight?), takes lure, gets hooked/netted by the bunch.

Using the smaller lights seems to skip step 1, maybe the object looks more like prey? I don't know, I'm no squid (maybe a scuba diver underwater in test conditions to tell us.)

According to my few night diving experiences in HK, there doesn't seem to be a abundant amount of dinoflaggellates around. But just enough that waving your hands around in the water would produce 3-8 blue glowing dots.

Hope the information will be helpful...