[Octopus]: Spider and Cletus - 2 new octos aculeatus mabie??

Tentacle Toast

GPO
Registered
Glad to hear that they're still doing so well for you! That sounds like a wild show he put on for you there; thanks for sharing the stories (& photos). Please, keep us posted!

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
a few pics of spider right after he grabed the crab and some macro. and one of him siting on top of the rock i think is his den
i tried hand feeding him today but he started to retreat so i droped the crab and he turned right around and grabed it, i think i need to go back to useing tongs for a while then try the hand again
sorry for crapy pic ,the tank was dirty and shrimp kept swiming by the camera

Attachments

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
I find using my video gets the best shots because of the extraneous movement. Unfortunately, they don't get looked at as often as photos (including by me :roll:)

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
cletus and spider hanging out

these two wer trying to get at each other like crazy today
i'm starting to think i need to come up with new names becouse i'm not so shure cleatus is a male anymore, posibly the third leg had been lost and i was looking at the not yet fuly grown replacement? either way i'm not seeing what i preveiously thought indicated a male, also now that spider is geting bigger and more outgoing i'm not seing any indicater of a male third leg either.

Attachments

DWhatley

Staff member
The one on the right might have enlarged suckers, another indication of a male (this may be an artifact from sticking to the glass though). Try to get photos of the third arms. The spermatophore channel is often visible in photos but you may not see it just looking.

I have never tried putting two octo tanks this close together (visible to each other, yes, but not touching). The interaction should be interesting to watch but be sure your covers are well secured. This species is known to cannibalize itself (at least during a tank mating attempted by Roy) and one of my major concerns when mating Mama Cass and Tatanka (O. briareus, not aculeatus but established cannibals) was that she would kill him in the process (fortunately, this did not happen and the mating was somewhat successful in that the eggs were fertile but failed to produce young that lived more than two days).

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
i am suprised it took this long but i think this was just after their first discovery of each other, i droped a crab into that corner of cleatuses tank and he? ran away but spider saw it from the other side of his/her tank and came bolting over to try for the crab and this got cleatuses atention and he came back over and got face to face, lots of frantic dancing and color flashes insued for a few minuets untill they seemed to realize they can't get to each other then they hung on the glass for a while for a little stair down and then went back to minding their own buisness.
bolth tanks have well secured glass tops and spiders tank is only half full with mangroves growing under a glass top and he has never showed any intrest in even reaching a single arm out of the water wich is a little disapointing only becouse i would have loved to se my octo swinging from a mangrove tree.

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
origonaly my plan was to move cleatus to my 92 becouse it is larger and put spider in the 72 wear cleatus is now but if i understand corectly moving an adult female to a new tank can triger brooding so i'm now thinking it would be best to move spider right to the 92 and leave cleatus in the 72 to live out it's life their just in case they are females this would be the best corse to take corect?

DWhatley

Staff member
I don't believe we know what or if anything we do will cause early brooding. Often females will start to brood soon after entering an aquarium but this could be more related to time of capture (because they are out foraging and seeking mates more just before brooding) than anything tank related. I have moved females that I have kept from very young to larger environments and not seen early brooding. That being said, the tank sizes you have are likely fine for the full lifespan.

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
new homes

pict up new homes for spider and cleatus yesterday 2 new 65g reef ready tanks, i was planing to drill my own but i got these for less than most places wanted for a standard 65 so i figured why drill, my other reef ready tank with a coverd overflow is working fine for cleatus now so ill just set these up the same way.
the first one is tempararly going on an oak stand that i allready had this weak so i can get spider out of the 45 hex that he's outgrown way faster than i planed but in about a month ill have a big stand built for bolth 65's to sit side by side over a new 50-60g sump
the new/temp 65 for spider will be conected to the allready existing sump along with cleatuses tank and the 45 spiders curently in and only a small amount of new liverock and sand will be added to whats allready in the system so i don't think any cycle time will be neaded but ill probably let the tank run for a day before puting spider in it just the same

Attachments

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
I know I didn't keep up on this thread much but I thought i'd close it out today with my last update .
I pulled spider out of the tank today after he died sometime last night, he only took food 2 times in the last 2 weaks and started loosing color about a weak ago and seemed very clumsy with his arms mostly coiled up as he moved around the last 2 days so I knew this was coming. I've had him about 8 months so i'm pretty shure he lived out his natural life span and I hope he enjoyed living with me as much as I enjoyed having him.
R.I.P. Spider

DWhatley

Staff member
gpx,
Your description of the last two weeks sounds typical of observed senescence. It is always hard to see them go through it and I don't know if it is worse for a keeper when the period is extended or if it is short and less obvious.

Did I miss a post on Cletus' passing? I try to log the beginning and ending journal dates to have a basic reference on how long our animals live and I have added the end date to Spider's link but don't have one for Cletus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh1988

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards