so happy

ok so it has been a few days since ohno has left me and i thought i should go over hat i seen in his behaver the day b4 and the day off his death thinkin it might help others and myself i had to wait a little while do to i was preety upset and did not even want to think about it ok the first thing that i noticed was the day b4 was that ohno would not eat this just got me thinkin that he had ate on of the snails hermits or others in the tank and was just not hungry i was busy that day so i did not see him till later that night oh and he did not come out of den then that night i could see his eye and it looked hazey i was concerend but it was late and had no meens to help him so i got up early and looked at him he was very pale and did not come out i went to lfs and got water testing my first and found nothing my water was perfect but i went and did a 20% change and added meds while i was doing the water change he came out and his mantle was swoolen and lumpy looking and then about one hour later he was gone:sad::sad::sad::sad: if anyone can tell me what happen i would like to no what happen to my little buddy

One day of not eating is no unusual, often every other day feeding (especially when they are adult) is recommended. We also see recluse behavior come and go so that is not abnormal.

Unusually grey color is never a good sign.

What kind if medication did you put in the water? Most fish meds can be lethal and, unfortunately, most LFSes don't know.

i used tetracyclin from your advise in another thread so i am pretty sure that was fine and only used half of recomended amount really upset i was only feeding every iother day and the day he missed was on scedual i have tred to do what i heard from all the staff on this site i am pretty sure his death was not my fault water is great every thing else in tank is fine i am going to try again as soon as i find another octo i have nothing in my octo tank that can harm him just like i was told and am taking the advise givin very sereusly unlike some that i have noticed on here but that is just a few and really appreciate all the help and time to talk to me if anyone noes were i can get another octo i tryed toms and am on a waiting list

OK, (be sure to mention the name of anything you put in the tank or feed - it makes it easier to help) Tetracycline should not have had a negative effect but the recommended usage is to feed it and not put it in the water (yes, I know she was not eating but it is not helpful to put it in the water and it could harm other things in many tanks).

A general set of questions to be sure your tank is ready for another:

How long has it been cycled?
Did you buy it new or used? If used are you sure not copper medications were put in the tank (was it a SW or FW tank before and did the prior people keep fish or corals)?
Did you check for an ammonia/nitrite spike before you did your water change (look for uneaten food even now stuck somewhere in the LR and monitor your ammonia - there is an inexpensive kit and an even cheaper hang on tag you can use at home for this).
Did you use RO/DI water when you filled the tank? If not how did/do you treat the tap water before topping off and/or doing a SW water change?
Before you order a brieareus from Tom, what size tank do you have (briareus needs a 65 gallon or larger tank) and are you aware that it is not likely to be day active?

Sometimes the animals are at the end of their life expectancy when we get them but usually there are signs a week or so before they die if aging is the cause of death. Often we don't know why they die if they don't make it the first two weeks (I know making the two week mark was comforting so having her die just after that is especially painful) and generally we think shipping stress or capture methods have a hand in the problem.

ok no spike in tank i just thought a water cange might help i have had the tank since new no copper it is a 55 with sump briearius might be out then i us ro/di water for every thing tank has been set up since jan 13 i no three mo is the rule but my tank has been perfect mid feb

I alway do an extra water change when I notice anything amiss so your efforts would be someting I would do as well but I wanted to be sure you checked the water before the exchange.

It is frustrating when we can't isolate the causes of early death and I lean toward the common thinking that capture, shipping and handling are involved, mostly because the animal that I know were not caught using chemicals, were only shipped once and were in the collectors tanks for a short time seem to not suffer from the two week death syndrome. I tend to wonder most about the capture methods and the holding tanks and wonder is there is something we can do to reverse or hault damage that might be caused (it would seem that stress could be eliminated after 2 weeks as cause of death) but so far no suggestions have surfaced. I keep hoping DaveLin will have success with the Korean octos as we know their handling and exposure is exceptionally bad.

yes it is very frustrting and sad to have one die an dto think of the chemicals used doring capture they are amazing creatures and i guess we all still have alot to learn

Your octopus might very easily have died as a result of something beyond your control, but in planning for your next octopus it's only useful to consider the possible causes that were within your control. Of those, it sounds like the only thing you did that was unusual, or outside of know-safe husbandry practices was to put tetracycline in the water. While that probably was not the problem, it is still the most likely cause that is within your ability to control. As such, in the spirit of doing what you can to prevent a repeat of the problem, I suggest that you proceed as though that were the cause. I suggest that you try to flush as much of that stuff out of your system as possible by doing the largest water changes that are safe for your system, and doing them as often as is safe, and do them at that pace until you've done about ten of them. Assuming that you still have things living in your tank, I'm guessing that you could safely do 60% water changes, every three days for a month, before you get another octopus. Five 60% water changes will remove 99% (0.4 to the 5th power remaining) and ten 60% water changes will literally remove 99.99% of the tetracycline (0.4 to the 10th power remaining). If you're using RO/DI water at the same temp as your tank, you shouldn't cause any problems by doing the water changes. If you're in a hurry you can do them as often as you like (once or twice per day?) and be done in 5 or ten days. Just my 2 cents worth.

Fortunately, Tetracycline is one of the few meds that have been deemed safe to use with an octopus (there are a couple of other similar)both topically and internally and I would rule out a problem with having used it but removing it from the tank is wise for concerns with other things in the tank. Even without corals, die off bacteria (the intent of an antibiotic) can cause an ammonia spike or lower your good bacteria count and reduce the ability of your tank to handle waste.

As a strong rule of thumb, use in-water medications in a quarantine tank, never in a display.

just wanted to say thanks to all that helped me i have done 2 large water changeas and dont see any problems with others in the tank but will continu to do them until i can find a new octo

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back