size and age at death

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by flaherty8153, Aug 23, 2009.

1. flaherty8153

flaherty8153 Cuttlefish Registered

I was wondering if any one could share the size and age of their cuttle or cuttles when they died . I have 3 all are different ages but the 2 youngest are close in age . I fear my biggest and oldest is getting close to it's end ( maybe 2 more months ). Thanks

2. Tundra Cuttle

Tundra Cuttle Cuttlefish Registered

I know that typical max for S. bandensis is 13 months. The bigger the species the longer the life span. Sometimes their eyes get kinda cloudy as they get on in months. Why do you think only a couple more months? Were you right?

3. flaherty8153

flaherty8153 Cuttlefish Registered

no 1 is still doing very well .I have 3 cuttles all at different ages and sizes together hoping they would mate . 3 is the smallest at around 1 1/4"-1 1/2" while 1 & 2 are over 2" . 1 will be a year old in Dec. Hopfully 1 will hang in there until 3 is mature .

4. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I think that size is a better determination of age and death in cephalopods because temperature changes can slow growth rate and increase life spans as well as do the opposite. If you have had them for a year then it may be getting close but they should also be getting close to reproducing.

Greg

5. Tundra Cuttle

Tundra Cuttle Cuttlefish Registered

What type of temperature changes? What is the cutoff of effectiveness? I assume warmer temperatures increase growth rate?