Shevia - O.hummelincki

You are doing great. We had seen hummelincki ink for no reason at all (to us) even after they have been highly socialized (as in coming to our hands for petting). Quick movements will sometimes set this off and almost always if the are sleeping on the tank wall and you startle them awake.

Water changes are always recommended but as skywindsurfer points out, the larger tank will dilute it much faster.

In stead of not putting your hand in the tank to prevent inking, I would recommend doing it as often (albeit slowly and don't approach, let her approach you) as you can between now and the move. When it is time to move her you will likely have to guide her into the container and this is easier if she is not afraid of your hand. I have a great fish mover that I have used for two octopus tank moves. I videoed OhToo's move but did not get Monty's filmed. Monty was in a 15 gallon with a lot of LR so just getting it into the tank was difficult and required rock moving but the shape of the thing and the air hole at the top really makes herding them into it and moving them rather painless (not what we expected). You will need to place your hand over the opening once the octo is inside and it is not a long term holder but is great for transfers. As an aside, it does NOT work for pesky quick fish like chromis or damsels :hmm:

Linda used a cut out milk jug with excellent results but el Diablo and her original tank were much larger.

Thanks guys! She is doing just fine today! She has been out roaming and has eaten two small hermit crabs! So, I am relieved that I didn't cause her anymore damage then making her ink!!!!! Thank goodness!!!!
Thanks for the info on the mover you have dwhatley!!! That thing is pretty cool! It will still be a few weeks before we move her!
I will give her a few days before I start sticking my hand in there again! I'm not very enthused about doing it! Still a little freaked out!

That is correct. It should not be difficult to match temperature and water parameters in advance and immediate relocation will reduce stress.

I have to laugh at your hesitation to invite interaction. If you continue to keep octopuses over time, I will add your statement to my list of "infamous" quotes :sagrin:

dwhatley;168642 said:
That is correct. It should not be difficult to match temperature and water parameters in advance and immediate relocation will reduce stress.

I have to laugh at your hesitation to invite interaction. If you continue to keep octopuses over time, I will add your statement to my list of "infamous" quotes :sagrin:

:oops: GGRRREEEEAAATTT!!!! :wink:
I know! I absolutely adore her and she is magnificant....... We are still getting used to each other! :P

She ate two sally light foot crabs and a fiddler crab yesterday!!! What a pig!!! :P We bought three crabs thinking she'd eat two at the most and then the third today! She was apparently hungry! Then today, we were gone all day and got home about 7 (she usually eats at 4 or 5) and she came right out! I tried giving her a thawed table shrimp (raw) that was about the size of small grape and she jumped right on it!!! YEY!!! She eats frozen food!!! She wouldn't touch krill! She played with the stick for a minute or two before letting go and taking her dinner back to her den!

Shevia has only been out once (for a few seconds) today. She also wasn't out very much over the weekend, but I thought it might have been due to having four loud kids in the house! I am going to feed her in about an hour and then do a water change later tonight. Hopefully she will perk up after that!!!

Here are a few pics of when she was out this weekend and her eating the sally light foots!

Attachments

• conv_297565.jpg
    conv_297565.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 138
  • conv_297566.jpg
    conv_297566.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 114
  • conv_297567.jpg
    conv_297567.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
She must have been really hungry today!! Normally, I have to coax her out to eat... She was sitting out waiting and then attacked it!!! :P
Here's a video!

I wish one of these guys would fit in a 40 gallon corner tank. :sad: Now that Sedona is gone it just reminds me that Isis wont be around forever. And like D said in another post not having one is a whole lot sadder than having one for a short time. I would love to order one of these little guys.

I love when they play tug o war

If I could find out what Monty is and if I could get several and if they are a large egg species, they would be so perfect for aquaculturing. However, he is the only one I have ever seen. There have been occassional "hummelincki's" to show odd coloration and be quite small so I am wondering if a few have shown up without being acknowledged. I am pretty sure he is an invasive species (or at least not one I can find references about) so I think I should be looking for small animals further south. On the other hand, if they do crossbreed in the wild, we may never see another :sad:.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back