Shevia - O.hummelincki

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by JMP, Dec 8, 2010.

1. JMP

JMP O. vulgaris Registered

We got an octopus today from Aquacon, but not sure if it's a BRIARIUS or not!?!? He's much bigger than we were expecting but that's okay. We have 2 different tanks that have been running for months and empty. I drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and when he first when in the tank, he went straight into a cave. He's now out and has been exploring for about a half hour. He seems to be staying near the top though! Hope that's okay!

Attached Files:

2. Green_Tree

Green_Tree O. vulgaris Registered

First of all congrats on your new friend! :thumbsup:

Hopefully one of the other more experienced members will chime in soon.

Glad to hear that he appears to be doing well. Can't wait to hear how things develop.

Once again im hoping someone with more knowledge will chime in but im leaning towards not briareus. The arm ratio looks slightly off and the arms look thicker than what im used to when looking at briareus. Past that I apologize but I have no clue on ID.

Once again Good Luck with your new pet and hope to hear more.

3. JMP

Thank you! We are really excited! I can't stop watching him! He's an amazing animal!! Well, hopefully someone can ID him! I am uploading more pics now!

Attached Files:

4. JMP

Also, we were told to have the temp at 72* F, but in reading other posts, I see they say between 72* and 78*! Which is better???

5. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Does it have a blue eye spot? It looks like thats what I am seeing. Am I wrong?

Got a look at the pic up close... that is an eye spot and looks like thats a bimac.... I think with the yellow and brown I would swear by it... but then again I have never seen a O.hummelincki up close. If its a bimac... do you have a chiller? They need to be kept in cold waters as low if not lower than 70.

6. JMP

It has two blue spots about a half inch down from the eyes on both sides. So yes!

7. JMP

better pics hopefully!

Attached Files:

8. JMP

Okay! Right now it's at 72* but we can get it down to as low as 68*.

9. SabrinaR

I dont think there is a need yet to lower the temp... I checked Simmons thread... Hes another O.hummelincki... He has similar eye spots.

Heres his thread... http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?21260 you can see the eye spot more clearly in post #19. Check my thread for Isis (bimac) and Simmon (O.hummelincki) and compare them.

I am checking other threads as well to see but bumps on the spot make me think its O. hummelincki

10. JMP

I can't tell! We are going to give him a day or so to relax and then see what he looks like!!! Thank you for your help and I will keep you updated on what he may be and how he's doing!!
    He does look like the O. himmelincki in those pictures!

11. SabrinaR

I agree... The thing that threw me was the low temp request from Aquacon. Some of the other more seasoned ID'ers will chime in soon I am sure so they will be able to confirm one way or the other.

12. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

If you can, try to keep an eye on the color of the suction disks. The outer ring(edge) of the disks look to be brown or colorless. O. Hummelincki tend to have purpleish rings. O. Maya on the other hand tend to have brown or colorless. It may be a bit premature and I know O. Maya are rare, but I'm leaning more torwards that.

13. SabrinaR

Well if what D told you is correct (about the colorless eyespots) than this is most def an O. hummelincki. There is also the mention of the size though. O maya being the much larger of the two...

What size would you say your new octo friend is? Using fruit to help describe will help us greatly.

14. skywindsurfer

1.) O. Briareus is nocturnal/crepescular(spelling?), and unless your animal is brain damaged or about to die, it wouldn't be out in the light like that.

2.) The tempurature for any Caribbean animal should be between 76F - 80F with 74F being on the coldest and 82F being the hotest. (tempurature can vary between systems and species)

3.) If that's a Nano/Biocube you will need to get a larger tank. You said that you have two set up, so I'm hoping that the second is a 55 gallon or larger. I found that my O. Hummelincki much more enjoys my 8' 250 gallon than the 4' 55 gallon. From what I've seen of others, they tend to enjoy ample space to move about.

15. skywindsurfer

You're right about the size. O. Maya reaches O. Vulgaris size. I haven't seen or heard anything about coloration differences with their eye spots, but I have noticed that the ventral side of both speciese seem to differ. I'm not sure if the O. Maya can show purple/redish brown ventral coloration like the O. Hummelincki, but I haven't seen it. They tend to keep the dull drab color that you find in O. Vulgaris.

16. JMP

I'd say he is about the size of a large lemon! He was out for about 2 hours and then went under a rock, and hasn't been out since!

17. JMP

So, I should increase the temp to 76*ish?
    If you go to http://www.aquacon.com/cephalopods.html it's says Assorted Atlantic Octopus, but then underneath the pic it says Caribbean.
    We are going to put him in a bigger tank, we were expecting a MUCH smaller octo! He will be moved shortly!

18. SabrinaR

Hiding is good. Its very good normally. It can be pretty normal for them to hide for days or even a week or two. It can take some a bit of time to adjust to their new home.

What size tank do you have? I seriously doubt you have an O. maya octopus because they are extreemly rare, so much so that we have never had one journaled on TONMO. That all being said, if you have O. maya then you should be prepared for a large (very large) octopus probably requiring an aquarium at the very least of a 125 gallons.

I really do hope some of the more experianced folks come around soon, and trust me they will.... but they should be able to give you a more clear picture of what you have and also if need be ask you for the right kinds of pictures to best make an ID.

19. SabrinaR

As far as the temp goes I might raise it to 73 but no more until you are sure of what you have. Temp changes should be done over the course of days. Raising one degree a day until you have reached your target temp. Any faster can make the animal stress out.

As far as the move goes I would wait a week or two. Hes already been stressed from shipping and holding areas to a truck to your home. Moving him again so soon could be to much for him.

BTW WELCOME TO TONMO!

20. SabrinaR

I just checked the AquaCon website... it said 2 to 5 inches would be the size... I can totally understand why you expected something different. They really should post that is the mantel size.