Shevia - O.hummelincki

JMP

O. vulgaris
Registered
We got an octopus today from Aquacon, but not sure if it's a BRIARIUS or not!?!? He's much bigger than we were expecting but that's okay. We have 2 different tanks that have been running for months and empty. I drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and when he first when in the tank, he went straight into a cave. He's now out and has been exploring for about a half hour. He seems to be staying near the top though! Hope that's okay!

Attachments

• conv_304366.jpg
    conv_304366.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 172
First of all congrats on your new friend! :thumbsup:

Hopefully one of the other more experienced members will chime in soon.

Glad to hear that he appears to be doing well. Can't wait to hear how things develop.

Once again im hoping someone with more knowledge will chime in but im leaning towards not briareus. The arm ratio looks slightly off and the arms look thicker than what im used to when looking at briareus. Past that I apologize but I have no clue on ID.

Once again Good Luck with your new pet and hope to hear more.

Thank you! We are really excited! I can't stop watching him! He's an amazing animal!! Well, hopefully someone can ID him! I am uploading more pics now!

Attachments

• conv_297482.jpg
    conv_297482.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 150
  • conv_297483.jpg
    conv_297483.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
Also, we were told to have the temp at 72* F, but in reading other posts, I see they say between 72* and 78*! Which is better???

Does it have a blue eye spot? It looks like thats what I am seeing. Am I wrong?

Got a look at the pic up close... that is an eye spot and looks like thats a bimac.... I think with the yellow and brown I would swear by it... but then again I have never seen a O.hummelincki up close. If its a bimac... do you have a chiller? They need to be kept in cold waters as low if not lower than 70.

I dont think there is a need yet to lower the temp... I checked Simmons thread... Hes another O.hummelincki... He has similar eye spots.

Heres his thread... http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?21260 you can see the eye spot more clearly in post #19. Check my thread for Isis (bimac) and Simmon (O.hummelincki) and compare them.

I am checking other threads as well to see but bumps on the spot make me think its O. hummelincki

I can't tell! We are going to give him a day or so to relax and then see what he looks like!!! Thank you for your help and I will keep you updated on what he may be and how he's doing!!
He does look like the O. himmelincki in those pictures!

If you can, try to keep an eye on the color of the suction disks. The outer ring(edge) of the disks look to be brown or colorless. O. Hummelincki tend to have purpleish rings. O. Maya on the other hand tend to have brown or colorless. It may be a bit premature and I know O. Maya are rare, but I'm leaning more torwards that.

skywindsurfer;167976 said:
If you can, try to keep an eye on the color of the suction disks. The outer ring(edge) of the disks look to be brown or colorless. O. Hummelincki tend to have purpleish rings. O. Maya on the other hand tend to have brown or colorless. It may be a bit premature and I know O. Maya are rare, but I'm leaning more torwards that.

Well if what D told you is correct (about the colorless eyespots) than this is most def an O. hummelincki. There is also the mention of the size though. O maya being the much larger of the two...

What size would you say your new octo friend is? Using fruit to help describe will help us greatly.

1.) O. Briareus is nocturnal/crepescular(spelling?), and unless your animal is brain damaged or about to die, it wouldn't be out in the light like that.

2.) The tempurature for any Caribbean animal should be between 76F - 80F with 74F being on the coldest and 82F being the hotest. (tempurature can vary between systems and species)

3.) If that's a Nano/Biocube you will need to get a larger tank. You said that you have two set up, so I'm hoping that the second is a 55 gallon or larger. I found that my O. Hummelincki much more enjoys my 8' 250 gallon than the 4' 55 gallon. From what I've seen of others, they tend to enjoy ample space to move about.

sk252006;167979 said:
Well if what D told you is correct (about the colorless eyespots) than this is most def an O. hummelincki. There is also the mention of the size though. O maya being the much larger of the two...

What size would you say your new octo friend is? Using fruit to help describe will help us greatly.

You're right about the size. O. Maya reaches O. Vulgaris size. I haven't seen or heard anything about coloration differences with their eye spots, but I have noticed that the ventral side of both speciese seem to differ. I'm not sure if the O. Maya can show purple/redish brown ventral coloration like the O. Hummelincki, but I haven't seen it. They tend to keep the dull drab color that you find in O. Vulgaris.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back