Sexing an Octopus - Photos of Hectocotylized Arm

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Reaction score
Sexing an Octopus - Photos of Hectocotylized Arm I know I've posted photos of a blue-ring's hectocotylus before, but this animal is an undescribed species three times the size of any other blue-ring. (I also wanted to show off my new Nikon D800. Roy

Attachments

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Reaction score
Sexing an Octopus - Photos of Hectocotylized Arm Male octopus usually keep their hectocotylus tucked in tight away from possible damage. For this reason it is difficult to photograph the hectocotylus tip which bares the ligula. I got a chance to photograph this male's ligula this morning. Roy

Attachments

Rip_Höpfer

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
I have read in several sources (though I did not document them) that E. dofleini is one of the primary octopus species MOST characterised by sexual dimorphism by sucker size on at least two arms. (Males possessing the enlarged suckers.)

I’m sorry I don’t have a citation, but I swear I just read this assertion again—three times in a week or five days—just last week. So... the idea’s out there, and it didn’t come off of some wanker’s Tumblr blog—the sources were quite legitimate. Enough to warrant a raised eyebrow, at least.

Cheers and good luck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hnxccv

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards