Sexing an Octopus - Photos of Hectocotylized Arm

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
We have evidence for this in the wild too (Amphioctopus marginatus)- we hope the short little note, with frames of video, will be out this summer.
I thought about asking you if you had seen this (I just ran across the paper while looking for an external reference for ligula) since you have seen more in situ matings than the rest of us combined (including Roy or we have almost no numbers at all :sagrin:) .

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
I misread the this thread as "Sexting an octopus"

I need more coffee...

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Bump...

On the third arm, hectocotylus, how much of the tip will be suckerless, ligula, say on a Hummelincki or Vulgaris?

At what age does an octopus become sexually mature? is it the same age for male and female?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I put a list of papers I found on hummelicki in the Cephalopod Species (by family)->Octopodidae forum. The first paper has this to say about ligula length:
Hectocotylus
on right third arm, ligula small, LLI about 3.0-5.0, calamus spout usually midwayan ligula.
. It is my guess that the calamus spout would be the part of the ligula that would be suckerless :bonk:

With the eye spots, Penney will not be vulgaris but someone else may know of a reference with similar info on vulgaris.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm I thought the whole suckerless part was ligula and the calamus spout is where spermataphores come from...

She's a Vulgarlicki! Too big to hummelincki, and possible eye spot equals not Vulgaris. I wish someone knew!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of a 'calamus spout' - the calamus and ligula are quite different structures, neither with suckers. I think someone has been making up words. Bizarre.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jph

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak