Sepiolids in aquariums?

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering; can sepiolids be kept in aquariums? If so, are there any sources? I would get an O. Bimaculoides, but at the moment I dont have that big a tank, and we might move soon (1-2 years), so my dad doesn't want me buying a larger tank. (I personally don't think we are-we were originally supposed to 3 weeks ago.) Anyhoo, any ideas?

Gabe

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've never heard of anyone keeping them. And this slimy habit they have :)

I'm assuming you're refering to Sepioloidea lineolata, the Striped Pajama Squid, which is certainly attractive looking and small (2 inches).

It's slime might even be of a poisonous nature. We don't know.

So, I think the chances of you finding this are slim.

Nancy

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
:lol: You got me there, I have wanted one of those for a long time. Unfotunately, all I knew was how they looked and that they were aussies. :P (only 2 inches?)

Anyhoo, back on track. What I really meant were these guys:
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Escolopes.html
And his relatives. Any info on those guys?
Thanks,
Gabe

P.S. for your amusement, here's the URL for the S. lineolata (Imagine trying to get one with only that much info...:bonk: )
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Slineolata.html[/url]

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, what does GMT mean? I notice that at the botton of all threads it says "all times are GMT". What in the world does that mean? :?:

Gabe

P.S. Any more info on that lil' aussie? :mrgreen: (I used to-and still do- REALLY want one!)

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Strange that there's so little info on S. lineolata , when Mark Norman's book contains several paragraphs!

You're not the first to be interested in E. scolopes, but I've never seen it available as a pet. I don't have any more info than you have in the link provided.

Incidently, I was looking at the bibliography in the E. scolopes link and was surprised to see that there really is a Gilligan's Island :)

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
GMT is Greenich Mean Time... which is where I live and is UK time...

You can change the setting for this from your profie to your own time zone :)

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I'm not a researcher! ...sadly... I wanna study cephs for a LIVING! (my dream job) ;)

Gabe

P.S. Any more info on S. lineolata? Not just for keeping-I simply love to study these magnificent creatures. (cephs) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanfax

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards