Sepiolids in aquariums?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Cephkid, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

Hi all,
    I was wondering; can sepiolids be kept in aquariums? If so, are there any sources? I would get an O. Bimaculoides, but at the moment I dont have that big a tank, and we might move soon (1-2 years), so my dad doesn't want me buying a larger tank. (I personally don't think we are-we were originally supposed to 3 weeks ago.) Anyhoo, any ideas?

Gabe

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Well, I've never heard of anyone keeping them. And this slimy habit they have :)

I'm assuming you're refering to Sepioloidea lineolata, the Striped Pajama Squid, which is certainly attractive looking and small (2 inches).

It's slime might even be of a poisonous nature. We don't know.

So, I think the chances of you finding this are slim.

Nancy

3. Cephkid

:lol: You got me there, I have wanted one of those for a long time. Unfotunately, all I knew was how they looked and that they were aussies. :P (only 2 inches?)

Anyhoo, back on track. What I really meant were these guys:
    http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Escolopes.html
    And his relatives. Any info on those guys?
    Thanks,
    Gabe

P.S. for your amusement, here's the URL for the S. lineolata (Imagine trying to get one with only that much info...:bonk: )
    http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Slineolata.html[/url]

4. Cephkid

By the way, what does GMT mean? I notice that at the botton of all threads it says "all times are GMT". What in the world does that mean? :?:

Gabe

P.S. Any more info on that lil' aussie? :mrgreen: (I used to-and still do- REALLY want one!)

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Strange that there's so little info on S. lineolata , when Mark Norman's book contains several paragraphs!

You're not the first to be interested in E. scolopes, but I've never seen it available as a pet. I don't have any more info than you have in the link provided.

Incidently, I was looking at the bibliography in the E. scolopes link and was surprised to see that there really is a Gilligan's Island :)

Nancy

6. Cephkid

7. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

GMT is Greenich Mean Time... which is where I live and is UK time...

You can change the setting for this from your profie to your own time zone :)

8. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

9. reefer911

reefer911 Cuttlefish Registered

wow they sell alot looks like that could be a scource.

10. Cephkid

Yes, but I'm not a researcher! ...sadly... I wanna study cephs for a LIVING! (my dream job) ;)

Gabe

P.S. Any more info on S. lineolata? Not just for keeping-I simply love to study these magnificent creatures. (cephs) :)

11. Cephkid

So, (in addition to my other question) what else would be a small ceph that would not take more'n a 30-40 gallon tank? Other than O. mercatoris or O. joubini I mean- the idea of an octo living only 1-6 months does not appeal to me. (This, of course, rules out H. lunalata, but THAT worries me NOT: I don't like the idea of a creature that possesses a toxin that a study done in 1988 (dont remember source of this info, sadly) proved was as effective as simultaneously eating a lethal does of badly prepared japanese 'fugu' whilst being bitten by a king cobra-YIKES! :shock:)

Gabe

12. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

NRCC only sells cephs for an educational purpose thing, not too sure on the details but it sucks.

Sorry, don't know where to get any sepliods. Jim at Octopets said he may get Rosia pacifica sometime this year or next, but Rosia would require a chiller and those can cost upwards of $300.

:welcome: to TONMO, BTW.

13. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

We've kept Sepioloidea pacifica . To be honest (and I know this is heresy) they're kinda boring for a home aquarium! strongly nocturnal and during the day tend to remain buried in sand with only the eyes on view and you can see them if you look really hard!!!!

J

14. Cephkid

You think S. lineatola would behave similarly?

Then what would be a good replacement ceph? I only have a 30-40 gallon tank available right now.

Gabe

P.S. Ah yes, Marvin, the android created with brand new emotion wires, the unbelievably depressing being whos mere talking for ten minutes to a ships computer caused it to commit suicide... at least in the the end he finds some comfort in gods final message to his creations. And if you ask me any questions I have but one thing to say to you... 42!!!!!

15. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I don't have any experience with the pyjama squid but many of these little sepiolids are burrowers....so it seems likely.

It's interesting but as Steve O pointed out once before the number of octopus species in NZ is .........42!!!!

J

16. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

An o. bimaculoides might be cramped in a 40 gallon but you could give it a shot, there are a few 40 gallon tanks that have had a bimac succesfully.

17. Cephkid

You sure? What kinda filtration, skimming, etc. would you use? Sorry if my newb-ness is shining right now.

I knew it! IknewitIknewitIknewit! HAhaHAhaHAha!

Gabe

18. Vinod

Vinod Larval Mass Registered

Hi! Gabe
    If you really want to get E. Scolopes real bad and go on a hliday at teh same time I might have some info for u.
    E. scolopes are found on the shallow sandy anks of Hawaii. We collect our specimens from the island of Ohau. Tghere are several sites you can colect it from.
    We have notices that they donot do well in small aquarium tanks and go belly up real fast.
    We keep them at 34 ppt salinity and at 22 degree celcius. We use marine mix and instant ocean to prepare the sea water.
    Its imp to do a water chemistry and check on the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels ever week. if the animal is small, it survives for about 4 months in captivity. Newly hatched babies have high mortality rates.
    SO if u know some one going to hawaii or wanna do it ur self I can hook u up with teh site.
    Have fun and happy hunting.
    adios

19. Cephkid

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I've been getting conflicting information...despite the post on this thread about rossia pacifica being made available through octopets, I have gathered from scattered posts that, correct me if I'm wrong, octopets is gettind S.bandensis. Are they getting R.pacifica, S.bandensis, or both?

Gabe.

20. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Gabe, try calling or emailing your species question to octopets. Others here would love to know what they say.

Melissa