• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepiolids in aquariums?

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Hi all,
I was wondering; can sepiolids be kept in aquariums? If so, are there any sources? I would get an O. Bimaculoides, but at the moment I dont have that big a tank, and we might move soon (1-2 years), so my dad doesn't want me buying a larger tank. (I personally don't think we are-we were originally supposed to 3 weeks ago.) Anyhoo, any ideas?

Gabe

Well, I've never heard of anyone keeping them. And this slimy habit they have :smile:

I'm assuming you're refering to Sepioloidea lineolata, the Striped Pajama Squid, which is certainly attractive looking and small (2 inches).

It's slime might even be of a poisonous nature. We don't know.

So, I think the chances of you finding this are slim.

Nancy

:lol: You got me there, I have wanted one of those for a long time. Unfotunately, all I knew was how they looked and that they were aussies. :P (only 2 inches?)

Anyhoo, back on track. What I really meant were these guys:
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Escolopes.html
And his relatives. Any info on those guys?
Thanks,
Gabe

P.S. for your amusement, here's the URL for the S. lineolata (Imagine trying to get one with only that much info...:bonk: )
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Slineolata.html[/url]

By the way, what does GMT mean? I notice that at the botton of all threads it says "all times are GMT". What in the world does that mean? :?:

Gabe

P.S. Any more info on that lil' aussie? :mrgreen: (I used to-and still do- REALLY want one!)

Strange that there's so little info on S. lineolata , when Mark Norman's book contains several paragraphs!

You're not the first to be interested in E. scolopes, but I've never seen it available as a pet. I don't have any more info than you have in the link provided.

Incidently, I was looking at the bibliography in the E. scolopes link and was surprised to see that there really is a Gilligan's Island :smile:

Nancy

GMT is Greenich Mean Time... which is where I live and is UK time...

You can change the setting for this from your profie to your own time zone :smile:

Yes, but I'm not a researcher! ...sadly... I wanna study cephs for a LIVING! (my dream job) :wink:

Gabe

P.S. Any more info on S. lineolata? Not just for keeping-I simply love to study these magnificent creatures. (cephs) :smile:

So, (in addition to my other question) what else would be a small ceph that would not take more'n a 30-40 gallon tank? Other than O. mercatoris or O. joubini I mean- the idea of an octo living only 1-6 months does not appeal to me. (This, of course, rules out H. lunalata, but THAT worries me NOT: I don't like the idea of a creature that possesses a toxin that a study done in 1988 (dont remember source of this info, sadly) proved was as effective as simultaneously eating a lethal does of badly prepared japanese 'fugu' whilst being bitten by a king cobra-YIKES! :shock:)

Gabe

reefer911 said:
wow they sell alot looks like that could be a scource.

NRCC only sells cephs for an educational purpose thing, not too sure on the details but it sucks.

Sorry, don't know where to get any sepliods. Jim at Octopets said he may get Rosia pacifica sometime this year or next, but Rosia would require a chiller and those can cost upwards of $300.

:welcome: to TONMO, BTW.

We've kept Sepioloidea pacifica . To be honest (and I know this is heresy) they're kinda boring for a home aquarium! strongly nocturnal and during the day tend to remain buried in sand with only the eyes on view and you can see them if you look really hard!!!!

J

We've kept Sepioloidea pacifica . To be honest (and I know this is heresy) they're kinda boring for a home aquarium! strongly nocturnal and during the day tend to remain buried in sand with only the eyes on view and you can see them if you look really hard!!!!
You think S. lineatola would behave similarly?

Jim at Octopets said he may get Rosia pacifica sometime this year or next, but Rosia would require a chiller and those can cost upwards of $300.
Then what would be a good replacement ceph? I only have a 30-40 gallon tank available right now.

Gabe

P.S. Ah yes, Marvin, the android created with brand new emotion wires, the unbelievably depressing being whos mere talking for ten minutes to a ships computer caused it to commit suicide... at least in the the end he finds some comfort in gods final message to his creations. And if you ask me any questions I have but one thing to say to you... 42!!!!!

Cephkid said:
You think S. lineatola would behave similarly?

I don't have any experience with the pyjama squid but many of these little sepiolids are burrowers....so it seems likely.

Cephkid said:
P.S. Ah yes, Marvin, the android created with brand new emotion wires, the unbelievably depressing being whos mere talking for ten minutes to a ships computer caused it to commit suicide... at least in the the end he finds some comfort in gods final message to his creations. And if you ask me any questions I have but one thing to say to you... 42!!!!!

It's interesting but as Steve O pointed out once before the number of octopus species in NZ is .........42!!!!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back