Satellite Spots 'Glowing' Ocean

Discussion in 'Enoploteuthidae' started by CarlS, Nov 5, 2005.

1. CarlS

CarlS O. vulgaris Registered

This isn't really ceph related, but it is marine related so I figured some people might be interested.

The story is on the NPR site right here and on LiveScience right here.

--Carl
    :cyclops:

2. Vampyroteuthis

Vampyroteuthis Cuttlefish Registered

Isn't there a type of squid that bioluminates near the surface? :confused:

3. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Squid jigging boats use lights to attract squid - is that what you are thinking of? I thought Taningiae danae, with their lemon bioluminescence, were not surface squid. What others glow?

Melissa

4. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Sthenoteuthis oualaniensis has a big glowing patch on the dorsal mantle and flashes it like crazy- pretty cool to see coming up from the deep.

5. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Tons of other squid have photophores. One of the better know surface squid that bioluminece is the small Watasenia scintillans  , also commonly called the Japanese firefly squid. They are caught in great numbers in nets around costal Japan at night and the video footage makes it look like they are pulling in great nets of glowing blue goo. Really cool.   Anyways, I didn't read the article, probably should, but as CarlS pointed out they don't really suspect cephs to be the cause or these glow spots. I think they're leaning more towards things like plankton or copepods or something more along those lines. Great find!

Cheers!

6. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

I'd have to say that it's plankton or some sort of ity bity things like that.

But I'd love to declare as the glowing tentacle tip of a large squid or the ink of a squid that produces glowing ink.