[Octopus]: Rinaldo - O. Hummelincki Meet my new octopus!!!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
20131110_155641.jpg
I have great news! Took a ride this morning to PA picked up a new octopus and he was not even out of the bag yet and ate a dead fiddler that didn't make the ride home!!! I have been octoless for too long! So for my first update, after dripping for an hour, I was able to lift him out of the bag in the pvc piece and place him on the sand in the tank. He stayed inside, dining on the fiddler for about 45 mins. When I went back to check, he was out looking around. The color changes and spikiness is amazing! As of now he is sitting on a shell watching us. I am debating whether to offer a second crab.... I think it's O'Hummelincki, has eyespots and curled up about the size of a lemon. I debated on bringing him home due to his size, as I think he's almost an adult, but my love of them won out!!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The sizes on this species varies soooo much that it is impossible to guess age. I have had two larger males that I thought would only be with me a month and they lived 7 more. Unfortunately, even the small females started brooding within two weeks. I am hoping the white color inside the tube is because of the color of the tube since outside it looks amazing.

I am really glad to see this species starting to show up again. I don't know if it means they are out looking for mates, if they had a good propagation year or if Haiti has started to recover (ecologically and financially) but it is good to see them again.

Onn is getting long in the tooth (but still eating!!!) and Margay's tank is empty so I am hoping for one when it is again time.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
That gives me hope he will be with me for a while! Didn't eat the snail...I discovered an hour or so later that his leg was stuck in the snail. He dragged it around for a while, and this morning he is out of sight but the snail is on the glass again. I'm hoping he didn't loose a piece of his leg. And yes he was matching the tube!!! He has amazing color and texture changes!!! Wish I could stay home and monitor the tank all day but alas...work calls!!!

Attachments

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Day 5......Thanks!!! Di.....I had hoped he was eating...have not seen him since the "snail incident".....I scan the tank in the wee hours of the morning....I scan the tank before I leave for work...upon my return....resorted to using a small flashlight last night.....no sign, except there is no sign of the 2 fiddlers I put in the tank...I forgot this part....well...actually didn't but was hoping he would be different!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I always hate the first two weeks, especially with this species. They seem to be very hardy but if it is female ... :fingerscrossed: