[Octopus]: Rinaldo - O. Hummelincki Meet my new octopus!!!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
20131110_155641.jpg
I have great news! Took a ride this morning to PA picked up a new octopus and he was not even out of the bag yet and ate a dead fiddler that didn't make the ride home!!! I have been octoless for too long! So for my first update, after dripping for an hour, I was able to lift him out of the bag in the pvc piece and place him on the sand in the tank. He stayed inside, dining on the fiddler for about 45 mins. When I went back to check, he was out looking around. The color changes and spikiness is amazing! As of now he is sitting on a shell watching us. I am debating whether to offer a second crab.... I think it's O'Hummelincki, has eyespots and curled up about the size of a lemon. I debated on bringing him home due to his size, as I think he's almost an adult, but my love of them won out!!!

Attachments

• 20131110_162711_LLS_edited-1.jpg
    20131110_162711_LLS_edited-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
The sizes on this species varies soooo much that it is impossible to guess age. I have had two larger males that I thought would only be with me a month and they lived 7 more. Unfortunately, even the small females started brooding within two weeks. I am hoping the white color inside the tube is because of the color of the tube since outside it looks amazing.

I am really glad to see this species starting to show up again. I don't know if it means they are out looking for mates, if they had a good propagation year or if Haiti has started to recover (ecologically and financially) but it is good to see them again.

Onn is getting long in the tooth (but still eating!!!) and Margay's tank is empty so I am hoping for one when it is again time.

That gives me hope he will be with me for a while! Didn't eat the snail...I discovered an hour or so later that his leg was stuck in the snail. He dragged it around for a while, and this morning he is out of sight but the snail is on the glass again. I'm hoping he didn't loose a piece of his leg. And yes he was matching the tube!!! He has amazing color and texture changes!!! Wish I could stay home and monitor the tank all day but alas...work calls!!!

Attachments

• 2013-11-11 05.43.51_resized.png
    2013-11-11 05.43.51_resized.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 194
Day 5......Thanks!!! Di.....I had hoped he was eating...have not seen him since the "snail incident".....I scan the tank in the wee hours of the morning....I scan the tank before I leave for work...upon my return....resorted to using a small flashlight last night.....no sign, except there is no sign of the 2 fiddlers I put in the tank...I forgot this part....well...actually didn't but was hoping he would be different!!

Day 6.....Last night my son...Kevin informed me he came home around 2pm and the nameless octopus....was plastered to the front of the tank....I'm envious....up at 5:30am this morn.....still no sighting.....huge sigh.....My feeder crabs are doing wonderfully though. I set them up in a 15 long with a little bubble filter and discovered I can train them to feed in the front corner of the tank with shrimp pellets! They absolutely love them and the food does not foul the tank! I'm down to 7 crabs so need to buy more. Debating whether to make another trip to That Pet Place or send daughter of my significant other who is residing in our home right now in South Carolina to priority mail up some fiddlers. Have not tried this before but also the bait shops down there sell live large shrimp. hmmmmm....

The shrimp probably would not make it but you can try adding "shrimp buddies" to the bag (should be available at the bait shop) and see what happens. If they almost make it you can freeze them :roll:. Crabs should do fine with just enough water to cover them fully and lots of air space. Be sure she double bags everything and loops the rubber band tightly around the top then folds the top over and rubber bands it again.

Day 12....Names Rinaldo......he has an attitude!!! I had a sighting over the weekend! The pic is a tad blurry but definite!!! He does not seem to know how to eat snails. I went collecting and came back with mud snails and another type plus hit the bait shop and bought a dozen green crabs. Seems to come out during the day. I was watching hockey and noticed movement on the front of the tank. By the time I realized it was him he had retreated to the side. He was black at first, obviously hungry so I put in a fiddler which disappeared almost immediately. 20131116_203943.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back