RESEARCH IN NEW ZEALAND (23 April 2003)

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Our equipment list (needs) are pretty basic - I haven't even got UV on that tank; there's just a biofilter and a chiller unit (constant temperature). One of the most important things to keep in mind with the eggs is that you need a jolly good current through the tank, to ensure the eggs get plenty of O2; unfortunately the larvae would not survive long in that turbulence, so you have to remove them from the tank immediately after they hatch (and ensure they go into a tank with a fine, large banjo screen attached to the water intake). Fortunately they tend to do this at two times of the day, morning and evening, so you don't need to be on larval patrol 24 hours/day.

At NRCC are you separating the eggs out into individual strands? I've read of this being done before, but have never had the need to do so myself.

When they hatch you must have an abundant supply of live food, preferably mysid shrimp or fish larvae, 1 to 1.5 times the size of the squid. Anything smaller and they'll reject most, and you'll also experience considerable mortality. Too much food in the tank and the mysids will turn on the squid, so just enough to keep them going on a day-to-day basis.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, have you ever used UV on a larval tank?? I've heard of it being used with larval black foot paua (abalone) with disasterous results! The veliger larvae were very deformed. When the UV was removed the next batch were fine, UV back in=deformed larvae!

J

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Kinda like The Fantastic Four. Only there were probably more than four of 'em, and they don't sound like they turned out too fantastic.

:roll:

fluffysquid

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea said:
At NRCC are you separating the eggs out into individual strands? I've read of this being done before, but have never had the need to do so myself.

When they hatch you must have an abundant supply of live food, preferably mysid shrimp or fish larvae, 1 to 1.5 times the size of the squid. Anything smaller and they'll reject most, and you'll also experience considerable mortality. Too much food in the tank and the mysids will turn on the squid, so just enough to keep them going on a day-to-day basis.
No, I haven't ever seen the eggs of any cephs there separated. Generally, as they appear in the tank, they are moved to a floating basket in the same tank which allows free flow of water through it (but not eggs or hatchlings). As they hatch, one of the college interns (like me!) will put mysids in the basket to tide them over until someone moves them to a separate hatchling tank. Since there are three shifts a day covered by an intern, they do just fine for food.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Going4broke2018

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan