RESEARCH IN NEW ZEALAND (23 April 2003)

Mpevoto

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea said:
Mike, Tintenfisch and I are working REAL HARD to make this happen, soon.

Hopefully within the next 12 months we'll be out there doing it all over again, this time successfully.
Cheers
O
Awesome, and good luck!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Kopffuss said:
Dr. O'Shea,
I must say I'd be very interested in such an opportunity. I've always been interested in cephalopods, but it's difficult to study them when you're land-locked in the Midwest. Are you looking for people who have marine science degrees, or people who have degrees in biology, but interest in cephalopods? I fit into the latter category, of course.
IE
Howdo Kopffuss
Anyone with an interest in cephalopods is welcome, although a biological degree and familiarity with marine invertebrates would certainly help (you). Without this background you'll have to work rather hard, embarking on both a research project AND having to familiarise yourself with the basics of marine invertebrate diversity, morphology, anatomy, biology and ecology. It can be done however.

Sorry it took so long to respond; we've been stretched to capacity here this past week.
Kindest
Steve

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
If there is anyone out there interested in doing population genetics on endangered squid and octopus species then please sing out. A background in genetics is an absolute must.

Similarly, if anyone was interested in examining toothed whale diet then sing out also.
Kindest
Steve

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Since I'm not qualified for any of this, can I just come out and make you guys coffee each day? I'll work cheap! I'll be the office lackey! However, you'll have to put up with me hovering around a lot muttering "COOL!" over your shoulders... :lol:

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Matt, I completely agree! Hehehe! We could be the "lab mascots." I'd even dress up for the job. Sigh. Ah well. First to finish my obligations, then maybe I can play with squid. A long time from now. :roll:

rusty

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to help and or participate with anything you feel you would need my help. I am here when ever you need me. I have just started back to school with the hope of a degree in marine biology and would do the research just to help get the answers. Let me know if i can be of any help.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Over the next week we'll be working very hard to raise a few additional dollars to sponsor further research (in the form of postgraduate scholarships). If successful I'll post some research ideas online.
Kindest
Steve

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
We're not always working hard - we do get to play sometimes. Here are a couple of pics from the last trip to Hobart :)

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
My gosh you two look soooooo serious! I was talking to George on the phone yesterday, he mentioned you were incredibly busy!!!!!

What park was that in I went to one called the Bonarong Wildlife Park when I was there, it was really neat although I did get mugged by the roos and a 10 month old wombat for the tucker!!!

J

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pETH

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan