Regenerating limbs?

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by winglessgnome, Feb 11, 2012.

1. winglessgnome

winglessgnome Pygmy Octopus Registered

Hi there! I was wondering if cephalopods can regenerate lost limbs? I've read a couple of places that certain species (like Vampyroteuthis infernalis) can regenerate limb tips, but I was wondering if this is common among all cephalopods? Also, are there any cephalopods that can wholly regenerate lost limbs?

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I know octopuses regenerate lost limbs I have seem it with my own pets a number of times. i'm pretty sure that squids and cuttles do as well, but i am not 100% on that.

3. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I have certainly seen squid in my samples which had arms in the process of regeneration and as Dave said octopus can certainly do it!

4. Level_Head

Level_Head Vampyroteuthis Registered

Squid and octopus species seem to be capable of complete limb regeneration, in general, though there is certainly likely to be variations across species and groups. I went looking for a reference that was not tucked behind a paywall, and found (among other things) an interesting book chapter on the topic from 1920:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...=7RYlVRX9QchnqyLuAOH3eCC9XA8#v=onepage&q=limb regeneration cephalopod&f=false

5. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

There's another thread about this over here, with some more good references.