Regenerating limbs?

winglessgnome

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi there! I was wondering if cephalopods can regenerate lost limbs? I've read a couple of places that certain species (like Vampyroteuthis infernalis) can regenerate limb tips, but I was wondering if this is common among all cephalopods? Also, are there any cephalopods that can wholly regenerate lost limbs?

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I know octopuses regenerate lost limbs I have seem it with my own pets a number of times. i'm pretty sure that squids and cuttles do as well, but i am not 100% on that.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I have certainly seen squid in my samples which had arms in the process of regeneration and as Dave said octopus can certainly do it!

Level_Head

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Squid and octopus species seem to be capable of complete limb regeneration, in general, though there is certainly likely to be variations across species and groups. I went looking for a reference that was not tucked behind a paywall, and found (among other things) an interesting book chapter on the topic from 1920:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...=7RYlVRX9QchnqyLuAOH3eCC9XA8#v=onepage&q=limb regeneration cephalopod&f=false

Members online

No members online now.