Recently Purchased Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by b25oshea, Feb 19, 2003.

1. b25oshea

b25oshea Blue Ring Registered

Finally, after months of interest and planning, I placed the order for the tank from drsfostersmith.com; most important items:
    Emperor 280
    20 gallon Long
    Lee's Protein Skimmer

I wished to know what the best method of salt mixing would be. I didn't order an expensive powerful pump, so I was thinking of just mixing the initial batch (20 gallons) of seawater IN the tank, and adding the sand and rock later. I would then do subsequent water changes in buckets. Would this be appropriate?

2. sideways

sideways Vampyroteuthis Registered

That should be fine. I just set up a 30 gallon myself. I just poured the salt into the water but I have a pretty powerful powerhead mixing it up. I just found out while searching for water that Culligan sells RO/DI for $.35/gallon...just in case you need help finding some. Good luck, keep us updated. John

3. b25oshea

Dilemma

After opening my protein skimmer esterday, I realized that I need TWO air inputs; one for the airstone and one for the upward flow. However, my Rena 100 only provides ONE air output. I am debating whether or not to buy an air splitter, or buy a new air pump that has tw air outputs.

Michael O'Shea

4. b25oshea

Dilemma

After opening my protein skimmer esterday, I realized that I need TWO air inputs; one for the airstone and one for the upward flow. However, my Rena 100 only provides ONE air output. I am debating whether or not to buy an air splitter, or buy a new air pump that has tw air outputs.

Michael O'Shea

5. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

You should be fine to split it Michael!
    C

6. b25oshea

Cloudy Water

After mixing the salt and adding the Argamax sand, the water has become extremely cloudy. For how long will this condition last?

Michael O'Shea

7. sideways

sideways Vampyroteuthis Registered

if it's not clear by now, it should be by tomorrow