Possible ID? Bad photos though :(

Discussion in 'ID Requests' started by AndreasN, Oct 29, 2010.

1. AndreasN

AndreasN Larval Mass Registered

Hi guys and gals :) I am very very very new to this considering I joined about 10 mins ago :grin:

Basically I work at an aquatics center and we got an Octopus in....I thought it was absolutely amazing! So I got home and started researching and it seems difficult but possible as long as I am willing to be dedicated, before I go ahead and make a BAD mistake and harm the creature (which I would hate tod do! :sad: ) I would very much like an ID on this amazing creature and the level of difficulty, thanks :)

Andreas

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: to TONMO

Hard to say. Do you know where the animal was originally caught?
    It looks like an A. Aculeatus from Indonesia. I say this due to the ratio or arm length length to mantle length, and a little because of color, but color is the worst way to ID octopuses.

3. AndreasN

Hey :)

Erm I'm not 100% sure, I'm going to ask the marine guy who got it on sunday :)
    If it is in fact the one you are thinking of do they get big? are they difficult to care for?

4. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

In my opinion all octopuses pretty much require the same care it just comes down to how much they eat. As for size A.Aculeatus average size is a mantle(body) length of 3cm(~1.25") and a arm length of 18cm(~7") Your seems to be about full size. I am sad to say that on average these guys only live about two months on average in captivity. Octopuses only live about a year and these guys are usually at the end of their life by the time they get to hobbyists.

5. AndreasN

Hmm 2 months really? :\ that's a shame actually, really cool little thing though

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Is it out during the daylight? They eyes look like those of a nocturnal (but that may be the photo angle and glass). The arms look ropier (thicker) to me than aculeatus. Have a look at Puddles and Beldar to see if they look similar (names in blue are links to the respective journals).

You will find a lists of the octopuses journaled on TONMO at the top of the Journals and Photos forum. The List of Our Octopuses 2008-2010 show the species and a link to the journal where you can look a photos.

Finding out what body of water and if it is diurnal or nocturnal will go a long way in getting close on an ID.

If you are going to keep it and not sell it, we would love for you to journal the experience.

7. AndreasN

Well when I have seen it, once in a while it will move around the tank during the day, but I do see it sleeping sometimes as well (so cute!)

Ok on Sunday I will find out as much as I can about it and maybe try and get better pictures, and if I was to get it I would definitely keep it, so yeah I could journal the experience if I do :) But I need to make sure I can first, I would hate to buy something I couldn't look after properly :( I have confidence though :)

8. AndreasN

Hey guys and gals, found out today that the octopus is from California and to be honest it was sleeping all day today so I'm guessing nocturnal? :P Does this help with ID?