Possible ID? Bad photos though :(

AndreasN

Hatchling
Registered
Hi guys and gals :smile: I am very very very new to this considering I joined about 10 mins ago :biggrin2:

Basically I work at an aquatics center and we got an Octopus in....I thought it was absolutely amazing! So I got home and started researching and it seems difficult but possible as long as I am willing to be dedicated, before I go ahead and make a BAD mistake and harm the creature (which I would hate tod do! :sad: ) I would very much like an ID on this amazing creature and the level of difficulty, thanks :smile:

Andreas

IMG00288-20101029-1530.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00289-20101029-1530.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00291-20101029-1530.jpg

:welcome: to TONMO

Hard to say. Do you know where the animal was originally caught?
It looks like an A. Aculeatus from Indonesia. I say this due to the ratio or arm length length to mantle length, and a little because of color, but color is the worst way to ID octopuses.

Upvote 0
Hey :smile:

Erm I'm not 100% sure, I'm going to ask the marine guy who got it on sunday :smile:
If it is in fact the one you are thinking of do they get big? are they difficult to care for?

Upvote 0
In my opinion all octopuses pretty much require the same care it just comes down to how much they eat. As for size A.Aculeatus average size is a mantle(body) length of 3cm(~1.25") and a arm length of 18cm(~7") Your seems to be about full size. I am sad to say that on average these guys only live about two months on average in captivity. Octopuses only live about a year and these guys are usually at the end of their life by the time they get to hobbyists.

Upvote 0
Is it out during the daylight? They eyes look like those of a nocturnal (but that may be the photo angle and glass). The arms look ropier (thicker) to me than aculeatus. Have a look at Puddles and Beldar to see if they look similar (names in blue are links to the respective journals).

You will find a lists of the octopuses journaled on TONMO at the top of the Journals and Photos forum. The List of Our Octopuses 2008-2010 show the species and a link to the journal where you can look a photos.

Finding out what body of water and if it is diurnal or nocturnal will go a long way in getting close on an ID.

If you are going to keep it and not sell it, we would love for you to journal the experience.

Upvote 0
Well when I have seen it, once in a while it will move around the tank during the day, but I do see it sleeping sometimes as well (so cute!)

Ok on Sunday I will find out as much as I can about it and maybe try and get better pictures, and if I was to get it I would definitely keep it, so yeah I could journal the experience if I do :smile: But I need to make sure I can first, I would hate to buy something I couldn't look after properly :frown: I have confidence though :smile:

Upvote 0
Hey guys and gals, found out today that the octopus is from California and to be honest it was sleeping all day today so I'm guessing nocturnal? :P Does this help with ID?

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back