out of the blue

I fail to remember if I suggested this in the past but you might find an idea or two in this thread. Of particular humor is this one that makes me wish they would do another Airplane spoof based on real life stories.

I want to be the human born with an eye deformity that allows me to see polarized light and befriend the octos (or spy on them).

Steve, of course, needs to be the mad scientist that was infected with cephlobacteria (from not wearing gloves :cephdevil: while messing with dead things) and can change the skin color and texture on his effected digits (sort of a spiderman/hulk concept where he can't control it).

dwhatley;125996 said:
I want to be the human born with an eye deformity that allows me to see polarized light and befriend the octos (or spy on them).

Steve, of course, needs to be the mad scientist that was infected with cephlobacteria (from not wearing gloves :cephdevil: while messing with dead things) and can change the skin color and texture on his effected digits (sort of a spiderman/hulk concept where he can't control it).

I'll see what i can do for both of you. very interesting suggestions, will certainly be taken into account! however, being new and confused about names and identities, may i be so bold as to ask who in this tonmo-maze Steve might be?

octokidwriter;126025 said:
I'll see what i can do for both of you. very interesting suggestions, will certainly be taken into account! however, being new and confused about names and identities, may i be so bold as to ask who in this tonmo-maze Steve might be?

Dr. Steve O'Shea of the giant squid fame...

dwhatley;126034 said:
Spoil sports! You both had clearer explanations than I was concocting :sagrin:

I wouldn't encourage this sort of thing, but technically, anyone can edit wikipedia.

i am impressed! but he's not actually posting on the forum? more some kind of mascotte?

no, seriously, i've read somewhere that the american army is developing a programme using "deviation of light" to make tanks and other unpleasant things invisible (perhaps they could try using in on Sarah P as well), would that have anything to do with "polarisation", in other words did they learn it from the octopuses :bugout:?

Ok so i am not going to shamefully edit the previous post and scrap the first line... having just found out the Legendary Giant Octopus Researcher does post on the forum. My humble apologies....

octokidwriter;126044 said:
...but he's not actually posting on the forum? more some kind of mascotte?

Ummmm. What in tarnations is all of this about? I have a difficult enough time keeping up with my email; I'm afraid I seldom get to follow threads outside of a few in phys & bio ...

Hi Steve, you appear to be sufficiently (in)famous to deserve the suspicion of being put to use as an alter ego :wink:

What are they like, sigh...

Then again, you are being acknowledged for your work on Haliphron, which should come as a breath of fresh, urrr, abyssal water?

octokidwriter;126044 said:
no, seriously, i've read somewhere that the american army is developing a programme using "deviation of light" to make tanks and other unpleasant things invisible (perhaps they could try using in on Sarah P as well), would that have anything to do with "polarisation", in other words did they learn it from the octopuses :bugout:?

Nope:

How Invisibility Cloaks Work

I'm not sure if polarization can be involved in holography in any way (helping or hindering.)

The ways I can think of that it's used are:

* polarized sunglasses (for seeing underwater things without water glare, and avoiding road glare in rain)

* LCD displays (the brightness is controlled by rotating a polarizing crystal relative to a polarizing filter)

* 3-d movies (the images for the 2 eyes have different polarizations, and the glasses match those.)

monty;124008 said:
I am going to go further and disrespectfully disagree. The web site is just wrong.

I'll further disrespectfully disagree (seeing I'm the guy that wrote that text on that web site). The web site information is correct; the only real difference (for the sake of those here) between an octopus and squid is that squid have those circular rings and/or hooks arming their suckers. It's a fact. You can support the distinction between the two on the basis of essoteric detail, but it's horses for courses online these days, and 99% of the detail mentioned on TOL goes over the heads of 99% of the teuthologists out there also. Moreover, many of those characters/states cited as diagnostic of squid and/or octopuses are not unique to them (cross-check against the two lists).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back