Octopus vs. cuttlefish

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
I dont theink he shoved the octo at the cuttle, you can see the cuttle right behind the octo, the whole time, he just was filming the octo, and the cuttle wanted a "tasty" treat, I dont think it was anything the guy was trying to do or expected to do, I actually fid that absolutely amazing. Imagine eating your cousin :yuck:.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
L8 2 RISE;117986 said:
I dont theink he shoved the octo at the cuttle, you can see the cuttle right behind the octo, the whole time, he just was filming the octo, and the cuttle wanted a "tasty" treat, I dont think it was anything the guy was trying to do or expected to do, I actually fid that absolutely amazing. Imagine eating your cousin :yuck:.
Well, it's not clear that those those two were related any more than we are to cows. But cephs seem rather less squeamish about such things, even with siblings...

cuttlechris

Wonderpus
Registered
maaaaaan i'm at a crappy hotel computer and i can't see the video.... i bet it was cool though. just to get things straight a cuttle ate an octo?!

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
an australian giant cuttle, probably about 3-4 feet long, ate an octopus with a mantle about the size of a baseball, maybe a little larger.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
That video keeps playing over in my mind. It makes me not want to find an octo in the wild (something I really would like to do) for fear of distracting it and causing its demise. I remember either Dale or Scott mentioning that they saw similar behavior when a large squid ate a young one that had been distracted by the divers.

Lime

O. vulgaris
Registered
Well that was an unfair advantage. The cuttlefish was twice as big. Plus, it snuck up on the octopus and ate it from behind... Poor octopus. :sad:

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
if the two of each of the biggest species would fight, the GPO would win hands down. however i am not prejudiced either way- they are equally cool in my mind. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mcorbell

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak