Octopus Toys

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've always assumed that the eye bar was a way of masking the pupil so it looks more like a shadow, and makes it harder to pick out.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that it was displayed during the presence of an annoying person and not when the feeding person was present does not negate the intent to disguise the eye. It appears to be more of a use of that disguise technique that can suggest mood.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Jennifer Mather's experiment was to see if an octopus could recognize individuals. The observation of the eye bar was used as a key to proving this. If you don't see it everytime you approach or it goes away, no harm done, we all annoy them from time to time :wink: What might be interesting to watch for is what you are doing or have in your hand that might activate the look. I think cameras probably do this, initially. It is watching for little signs like this and seeing a consistency/change over time and animals that most interests me to try to get recorded in the journals. Photos are particularly helpful because we don't always notice paticular coloration but can go back and observe, "what REALLY happens".

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
No, but people are thinking about how to let them select lottery numbers :biggrin2:

Joe-Ceph

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Reaction score
fishy12;159735 said:
anyone use a rubics cube yet?
Does a Rubix Cube use stickers on each cube surface, and if so, is the adhesive tank safe? Do they have any lubrication that might be toxic? Any metal parts down inside?

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Stickers, yes - not sure if harmful, if not it would be a cool thing to observe.

To the point here some of this is a bit worrisome - Paul imitators will surely be experimenting with foreign objects in tanks and if not carefully researched could cause harm to the ceph.

Way back when, Carol found that Legos were a great toy for her bimac. Has anyone tried putting a few connected Lego pieces in a tank? Would be interesting to see whether, after disassembling them a few times, it might not try to put them back together...

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, I don't think anyone has put assembled lego constructions into their octo tank recently, but one early poster who had kept many octopuses really liked to give them lego toys that he had made up and assembled himself, like submarines. Yes, they took his toys apart.

Nancy

Lmecher

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy;160105 said:
Tony, I don't think anyone has put assembled lego constructions into their octo tank recently, but one early poster who had kept many octopuses really liked to give them lego toys that he had made up and assembled himself, like submarines. Yes, they took his toys apart.

Nancy
I am intrigued :smile: I have to try this with Diablo. I just have to get out to buy some legos. Hmm do lego blocks float?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stablizo

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards