Octopus Rubescens

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Taollan. For those of us who think in Fahrenheit, 11C is about 52 degrees F and will take an expensive chiller (not only in initial cost but the cost of running it 24/7 in electric bills is impactive).

I had to grin a little on the aggression observation because, if I recall correctly, sometime during your Master's you mentioned that you had not been bitten in response to one of Roy's post. Did that change or were you just able to avoid a bite when you noted aggression?

AquaticEngineer,
So wish I could house an officinalis but my largest tank is just not big enough and that will be the primary issue (in addition to chilling a large enough tank) for most hobbyists. Similarly, the Mediterranean vulgaris are larger and need colder water than our local version of the species.

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Aquatic Engineer if you can find an Octopus Rubescens that will be great except that I don't have the 55 gallon set up. Although I do have a cold water 30 gallon will this do for the time being (perhaps a very small ruby)

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
If you do find an octopus please make sure it is not a GPO I definitely cant keep one of those please post a picture or two of it on Tonmo

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
DWhately: I still have not been bitten by O. rubescens, despite having continued to work with them throughout my PhD program. However, that isn't for lack of trying (or what I interpret as trying) on their part. Every 10th O. rubescens I get or so will be either so friendly or aggressive that as soon as it sees my fingers in the tank it will fly out of its den, attach four arms to the side of the enclosure, four arms to my finger and try like the dickens to pull me into the tank. I have been EXTREMELY careful not to let their beak get into position to bite me, and knowing the personalities of each octopus well before handling them without neoprene gloves helps.

And for what it is worth, I keep my O. rubescens in 110 gallon used Lobster tanks, generally surplus from closing grocery stores or restaurants (marineland makes some nice models). They generally come as a complete unit with chillers that can get you down to about 8 or 9 C, and some nice filtration as well. Lobsters, like octopuses, are also sensitive to copper and other metal ions, so you can be pretty confident that they haven't been tainted in that way. Nevertheless I usually keep an assortment of inverts, especially some mollusks like nudibranchs in there for a a few months before using the tank for octopuses. You can find them for around a $800-1000 on Ebay if you look closely, but shipping can be a pain.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, I don't use gloves but then I don't weigh them but I DO know the personalities before allowing fingers anywhere near the beak for ANY species I get to keep. Some only get head pats :biggrin2:

AquaticEngineer

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a video of the 2 octopus we just caught.

First one was without doubt a GPO. Second video is of the smaller one which we suspect to be a Rubescens.

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Wow that is a very small octopus I see why hes in the critter keeper How much are you selling him for. Also could people here help ID him.