Octopus Rubescens (Common East Red or Ruby Octopus) Berry, 1953

Discussion in 'Octopodidae' started by DWhatley, Feb 17, 2013.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Octopus Rubescens Wikipedia style article from Marinelife 1011 giving a nice summary of O. rubescens

2. CephBirk

CephBirk O. bimaculoides Registered

Nice! Thanks for this link!

3. DWhatley

Gonad Maturity of Octopus rubescens
    Lpez-Peraza, D. J.; Hern‡ndez-Rodr’guez, M.; Barn-Sevilla, B. & BŸckle-Ramirez, L. F. 2013 (full PDF)

4. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I saw this article and it has reminded me that I really want to get to Mexico and Central American to check out first hand the species that is being called "Octopus rubescens" that far south. It seems strange that this one species would stretch from Alaska to Central America, so perhaps there is some cryptic speciation, although it very possible could be one contiguous species as well.

5. DWhatley

:oops:, @Taollan, I thought about tagging you when this showed up but it seemed vaguely familiar. I could not find anywhere else that I had included it and they were not working with live animals so I did include the tag. I also started to make a comment about the water temperature but was not sure if there was a typo on the location since it says BC (assumed British Columbia, Canada) but then stated Mexico. Since you also noted the southern acquisition I did look up Bahía de Todos Santos and found it in the Baja area (not sure what the BC is all about). What is really interesting is that @Thales photographed a bimaculoides in the same area a couple of weeks ago and I wondered about the warm water and that species when he posted.