Octopus Rubescens (Common East Red or Ruby Octopus) Berry, 1953

Gonad Maturity of Octopus rubescens
Lpez-Peraza, D. J.; Hern‡ndez-Rodr’guez, M.; Barn-Sevilla, B. & BŸckle-Ramirez, L. F. 2013 (full PDF)

SUMMARY: This study described the reproductive system and gonadal development of Octopus rubescens from Bah’a de
Todos Santos, Baja California, Mexico. A total of 65 organisms, 35 males weighing 7.2 to 543.4 g and 30 females from 9.4 to 87.7 g
where analyzed. The gonad development was defined through histological methods using Hematoxylin-eosin and Arteta- trichrome
stains. We describe macroscopically the reproductive system of males and females, and characterized each of the anatomic components.
Eight stages of maturity were recognized in females: 1. Immature, 2. Initial folliculogenesis, 3. Final folliculogenesis, 4. Previtelogenesis,
5. Early vitelogenesis, 6. Final vitelogenesis, 7. Maturing and 8. Spawn. In males five stages were identified: 1. Immature, 2. Maturing
A, 3. Maturing B, 4. Mature type 1 and 5. Mature type 2. This work is the first histological description of the reproductive system of this
species and the beginning for future research on its basic biology.

I saw this article and it has reminded me that I really want to get to Mexico and Central American to check out first hand the species that is being called "Octopus rubescens" that far south. It seems strange that this one species would stretch from Alaska to Central America, so perhaps there is some cryptic speciation, although it very possible could be one contiguous species as well.

:oops:, @Taollan, I thought about tagging you when this showed up but it seemed vaguely familiar. I could not find anywhere else that I had included it and they were not working with live animals so I did include the tag. I also started to make a comment about the water temperature but was not sure if there was a typo on the location since it says BC (assumed British Columbia, Canada) but then stated Mexico. Since you also noted the southern acquisition I did look up Bahía de Todos Santos and found it in the Baja area (not sure what the BC is all about). What is really interesting is that @Thales photographed a bimaculoides in the same area a couple of weeks ago and I wondered about the warm water and that species when he posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back