Octopus & Propaganda

Wow, a very interesting read. I wonder if it would even be worth writing someone and letting them know the long and multi-faceted history of Ceph figures, on all sides of each argument. For the Jews to automatically consider it an anti-semetic symbol is flawed at best, since it has been used on both sides of that argument.

As for the "reasonable gun owners" question; I'm all for it. I have a couple rifles and plan to purchase a handgun in the near future. I mostly enjoy target shooting, but have been hunting in the past (squirrel - we didn't get any). I believe in the right to gun ownership, but not at all costs, as many associated with the NRA believe. I do not believe in complete bans, but much more careful distribution (mental conditions, prior offenses, etc) simply must be sought more than it has been thusfar.

Since the Virginia situation has been mentioned; I will only say this. It is a terrible, terrible shame, and was totally avoidable. Even when he went to school in the town next to mine, students dropped classes they had with him and a techer almost quit, unable to expel him from her class. That individual was very, very troubled for a very, very long time and anyone who came in contact with him knew it. He should have been examined and institutionalized LONG ago, by force if necessary.

People have this feeling about "problems", whether it be waste products or troubled people, that if they simply brush it aside (or dump it in the ocean) that it'll all be OK...As long as "they" don't have to deal with it. As a society, we need to take a much stronger stance on responsibility and actively pursue possible threats, not just brush them aside.

I'm certain there were many at Bradley University who gave a sigh of relief when he moved to Virginia Tech...I wonder how they're sleeping tonight.

There is nothing that is completely "someone else's problem"...All things come full circle.

[News]: Nation/World briefs - DetNews.com

Nation/World briefs
[SIZE=-1]DetNews.com, MI - 3 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]NRA depicts NYC mayor as octopus: A National Rifle Association magazine cover depicting New York mayor and gun control campaigner Michael Bloomberg as an ...[/SIZE]

More...

Hi All,

I'm going to revisit the NRA vs. Bloomberg incident soon, but I've got a few new finds to share first.

On December 9th, 1905, France codified as law the separation of church and state, the "Loi du 9 Décembre 1905 concernant la séparation des Églises et de l'État." Attached is a contemporary illustration depiciting Liberté (or her popular incarnation, Marianne) hacking at the arms of the clerical pieuvre. The arm grasping the schools has already been severed; still to be liberated are the French judiciary, army, industry and the colonies.

Clem

Attachments

• conv_291849.jpg
    conv_291849.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 128
"Vote Red!" Circa 1918, a very pretty art nouveau poster by Albert Hahn for the Dutch Social Democratic Worker's Party (SDAP). A strapping proletariat swings a pickaxe at the octopus of capitalism. The bloody-lipped cephalopod's arms are labeled anarchy, famine (hongersnood) and the suffering of war (oorlogsleed). A fourth arm is labeled levensmiddelen, which translates roughly to foodstuffs, but there's an illegible bit after middelen. The legend at the bottom exhorts us to "Support the Candidates of the S.D.A.P.

Of indeterminate provenance is the monochromatic corporate octopus snaking its arms south across the Mediterranean. The national composition of the array of corporate logos at the top skews towards multi-nationals based in Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Clem

Attachments

• conv_291865.jpg
    conv_291865.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 127
  • conv_291866.jpg
    conv_291866.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 145
dwhatley;103550 said:
Come on, it is all done tongue and cheek and if you look at the last page he actually gives decent "learn more" references

Except for the glaring omission of TONMO. I think we've been snubbed.

monty;103568 said:
Except for the glaring omission of TONMO. I think we've been snubbed.
...or it's one of us gone rogue, and TONMO was omitted to cover his/her tracks.

The octo drawing accompanying the "octopus vs. dolphin" page made me laugh.

Dang, Greg,

I hadn't thought about that episode in a long time. (To those who weren't here for it, "Pakoc" was an offensive TONMO troll who wrote nasty things about some of us, before coming semi-clean and apologizing, back in 2003; the name was an acronym for "People Against Keeping Octopus in Captivity," and, although never formally identified, the troll was likely a trusted regular going through a bad time in their lives.)

Here's some comic relief.:wink:

Cheers,
Clem

Attachments

• conv_291923.jpg
    conv_291923.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 129
Are any of these propaganda posters available for sale? I'll post some if I ever see any pop up on eBay. I collect Chinese communist propaganda posters and have found a lot of them for cheap (less than $20 shipped) on eBay. I think I've seen 80% of the Chinese propaganda ever made but unfortunately none depict any cephalopods.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back