Octopus isnt eating!!! | Page 7 | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus isnt eating!!!

ok i found the pix that you posted earlier it looks to me like you have a healthy happy octo, perhaps 0.bimac, find him some live crabs or hermits and get that skimmer on your tank

Thanks for getting that skimmer on the tank! My guess is that you have a female and she will be laying eggs soon. Try to get the nitrates lower and you can continue to offer a variety of foods, although she may not be interested at this stage of her life. Some octopus species do continue to take food while they are brooding eggs, so keep trying. Good luck.

:frown: eggs.... i JUST got her... baby octopus.. is there an article on raising octo's??? I have read the article on keeping, breading, rearing S. Bandensis.. and there is an article on Cephbase (which is laking) about raising O. Briareus...
also.. its not an O.bimac.. it has no eyespots...

Ok,
well from what I can see she is laying eggs..
if what i am looking at is infact an egg than it is a large egg laying species so i am deffinatly going to give raising them a try.. my guess no an ID is O. Briareus.... i'll let you guys know when i find out for sure if they are eggs or not.. in the meantime.. som raising octo info would be helpful.. so far i have read this article:
Raising and Rearing Octopus briareus - The Cephalopod Page
and the article on keeping/breeding/rearing S. Bandensis which might help a little..

Two years ago we had an experiment with raising briareus hatchlings. Debbie (dbbga) kept a briareus that had eggs. She would take most of the hatchlings, letting them live in the same very large mature tank where the mother lived. She also added mysids to the tank.

Another person took 20 or so, put each one in a small cup with saltwater, a sprig of macoalgae, and always a mysid or two.

I took 6 and put them in a very mature 19-gallon tank, full of small food such as copepods and amphipods and I added mysid shrimp.

Debbie ended up having no survivors, the second person had one live for two months, and I thought I'd lost all of mine. However, after 4 months, my husband was scraping algae off the side and out came a young briareus! I was astounded - I had intended to transfer any survivor to my larger tank after a couple of months. (Little Pod, as she was called, survived only a few weeks longer - I think she was attacked by something in the tank that I never found. ) But this does prove that you can raise an octopus in a mature tank with plenty of food.

I'd also suggest giving away some of the hatchlings - maybe that will raise the changes of having some live.

Nancy

so pretty much low survivability rates huh.... :/
nice pics Nancy especially that first one... now that makes me wonder if i should do it the second person way or your way..(but i have no established tank.. i have a cycled tank.. and i could deffinatly fill a 20g.H w/ Macro's filled with shore shrimp.... i would deffinatly try getting rid of some of the eggs.....
i cant see that "egg" anymore.. maybe it was something else... idk..
also.. if you can remember how big was yours at 4 months?

Sadly, Fluffy the octo has passed.... their is no eggs..but i truley believe that he was at the end of his life b/c of old age....
hopefully next time i will be more succesful

wow.. i feel stupid... he is alive....i thought i couldnt see him breathing so i went in to remove him and he went under a diff rock. lol
stupid of me

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back