Octopus isnt eating!!!

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Fishfreak218, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Fishfreak218

Fishfreak218 GPO Registered

ok,
    well i got this octopus yesterday... he ate a half dead shrimp last night..
    then i tried to feed him tonite (frozen krill and frozen silversides) and he chew them up and spit them back out!!!
    im paniking now.. .. should i be?
    Is it because he is new and stressed out??

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

He wants live food...:grin: He could be rejecting your food because he doesn't like the way it tastes, or he wants more cleaner shrimp...

3. Fishfreak218

oh.. great..... um... i need cheap live food.. where can i get it??
    i can go to the beach but the largest shrimp i will find there is a few maybe the size of small ghost shrimp..
    .... theaquaculturestore is expensive... 10 fidlers for 13.95...
    so if i want 20.. then that cost me like $27. and 20 wont last long...

4. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

20 would probably last over a month. Fiddlers, I would think, would keep him fed if you fed every other day. Get a mesh net and get down to the beach. I'm sure if you try for long enough, you can get some larger ones. Even the smaller ones would probably work.

5. Fishfreak218

will do... i am going to see if i can get to the beach on saturday...and i wil try to get some ghost shrimp before then to hold him over..
    i can also try and catch my peppermint shrimp if he needs extra nutrition or something...

6. Brock Fluharty

I don't think it would be worth tearing down a whole tank for a small shrimp, lol. I'd go buy another one for $5.00, or just gutload some ghost shrimp. At least that's what we do for seahorses that won't eat frozen mysis...

You said his mantle was the size of an egg right? Do you have a reef tank? Any other tanks? See if you can harvest some hermits from your other tank (if you have any). They love hermits!

7. cuttlegirl

Where are you in Florida? The Aquaculture store is in Florida also. Paul Sachs (the owner) is really helpful and friendly. Maybe you could call him and get some advice on where to find shrimp and fiddlers in Florida. You should be able to catch your own fiddlers...

8. Brock Fluharty

And most LFS's carry fiddlers, ghost shrimp, and...dare I say it...feeder guppies...NOT the best food, but may be ok for a day or two while you get some suitable octo feed.

9. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

are you defrosting the food in seawater? sometimes octos can be funny about their food if it's not....if he's young too, he probably does want the live food....but as said, most LFS carry ghost shrimp and crabs.
    Also, I know you just got him yesterday, but octos don't always have to eat every day.....you can go every other day, if need be. :grin:

10. Fishfreak218

i am in west palm beach.. a good 45 minutes away from any beach.. and far far far far far away from mangrove swamps.. which is wear im pretty sure fiddler crabs are....i do know of one place a looooong time ago when i was catching fidller crabs at a beach.. which isnt too far.. maybe an hour away.called red reef park... but i would collect food to last for a while.. but i have to make sure i dont make a dent in population.... i dont remember it as crawling w/ them....
    there are hermits in his tank.. they have gone unoticed..

11. Fishfreak218

it was defrosted in his own tank water... maybe he is just full.. it was a pretty large cleaner shrimp...
    he cant be that young b/c of his size...he is pretty large.. maybe a 2-2.5 maybe even 3" mantle and arms like 15" long

12. Brock Fluharty

Then he is probably just not hungry. I don't think i've ever seen an octo not eat a hermit, lol. Take a census.

13. cuttlegirl

Make sure the defrosted food is the same temperature as the tank, your octopus may not take it if it is too cold...

14. Fishfreak218

thank you very much for the quick help.. i will try again tomorow.. if he doesnt eat i will run out and get him something to eat.
    its hard for me cause im 14.. which means.. 1) i dont drive
    and 2) my parents can say either Yes.. or No
    but they wont refuse to get food.. they arent cruel...

15. Brock Fluharty

I'm 14 too.

16. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

hahaha ah! I beg to differ! Hehehehe I had "tester" hermits in my tank before I got an aculeatus. I did not get attached to them, thinking Beaker would make dinner out of them. I can say I still have all the hermits but one....must have been emergency food. He ignores them completely....which could be a blessing, they make an excellent cleanup crew for his mess.....

17. Brock Fluharty

Lol, wow. Was he a large octo?

18. Fishfreak218

yeah.. i saw you on RC.com.. you were the one who had the LFS or online store right??

19. Brock Fluharty

20. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

Eh, he's about midsize for an aculeatus, maybe 2" mantle?....I think he's just lazy. He worked hard to eat that one, and he knows eventually I'll give him something to munch on, so he pretty much ignores his tankmates....he'll even climb right over them. I saw him let the crabs eat fiddler remains in front of his den once....totally floored me! Hehehe