• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus isnt eating!!!

Fishfreak218;81647 said:
is it bad if his arms are curled up? almost like when u take scissors and streak it across a ribbon and the ribbon curls up..
(maybe im thinking of stingrays.. when there disk curls up its usually bad news)

The curlycue/corkscrew arm shape is not good... what are your water parameters? Generally octopus who have the curled arms do not make it :sad:

Brock Fluharty;81648 said:
Hmm...maybe he is actually a she, and full grown? Is it being shy, or still active?
EXTREMELY SHY!
... could be

also i checked all params... the worst thing there is, is nitrates are 5 maybe a little over...
everything else (ammonia, nitrite, phosphate) is at 0 and my Ph is 8.2
salinity is 1.025
idk wat is wrong!! now im sad..

cuttlegirl;81656 said:
Do a water change! How long was this tank up and running? How big is your tank?

i already did one tonite.. my tank is 30g. and has been running for about 5 months

i havnt seen her tending to any eggs.. so no....

is the curling arms a sign of them dieing b/c of old age? or ussually just bad water quality?

30 gallons is waaaaaaay too small for an octopus that has arms of 15 inches +, and a mantle the size of a lemon, as I remember you saying. Please tell me you have a skimmer on this tank? Not that it really matters that much. It is probably feeling very cramped...

Fishfreak218;81658 said:
i already did one tonite.. my tank is 30g. and has been running for about 5 months

i havnt seen her tending to any eggs.. so no....

is the curling arms a sign of them dieing b/c of old age? or ussually just bad water quality?

Did you test the water before or after the water change? You might want to do another water change...

Curly arms are a result of stress - it could be anything, water quality, stess from capture (depending on how the octopus was collected) and possibly old age. Although sometimes with old age, you will see them eat less, and slow down (like getting old).

I believe he's had this octopus for at least 1 and a half weeks now. I don't think it would be stressed from capture when it seemed fine in pictures a few days ago. Have you tested your water for copper?

it hasnt come out much.. so i dont know how it could feel cramped.... he is mostly staying in his cave...
i do 2 waterchanges a week (well i havent even had him a week... but thats what i have been doing and im getting a Skimmer come X-mas).....
he is a big octopus so he could be at then end of his life cycle... my water is fine except the nitrate and from my understanding they can handle a little nitrate

cuttlegirl;81660 said:
Did you test the water before or after the water change? You might want to do another water change...

Curly arms are a result of stress - it could be anything, water quality, stess from capture (depending on how the octopus was collected) and possibly old age. Although sometimes with old age, you will see them eat less, and slow down (like getting old).

i tested before waterchange... and then i did the WC....
i have had him since last sunday...

there is NO copper in this tank..

What type of filtration are you running? Skimmers are also very ood at aerating the water. Without a skimmer, what would you have done if he had inked while you were away? The minimum recommendation for a bimac is 50 gallons, and this sounds like a larger species that bimacs, so a 30 gallon would not suffice. Research, and THEN buy your octopus.

i have researched.. im not new to aquariums either...
im running a Aquaclear 110 and a HOT Magnum 85... i keep cheato, caulerpa, and Codium in the tank to help.. and LR.....
and i know that ocotpus need alot of airation (more then other things)

Brock Fluharty;81664 said:
What type of filtration are you running? Skimmers are also very ood at aerating the water. Without a skimmer, what would you have done if he had inked while you were away? The minimum recommendation for a bimac is 50 gallons, and this sounds like a larger species that bimacs, so a 30 gallon would not suffice. Research, and THEN buy your octopus.

:roll: oh boy:roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back