Octopus "enrichment" | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus "enrichment"

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
I dont know that I would call that enrichment, my idea of enrichment is more somehting to entertain the animal, so if you were looking to enrich humans, you'd give them a TV. But it sounds cool, keep us posted, should be fun!

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Oh, I am not buying it (note the quotes around enrichment). The post needed a smiley I guess.

Major Mess

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi
Enrichment does not necessariliy mean entertainment in our understanding. Its just to keep anmials busy, to use their brain and body.
When I worked with seals, we put huge ice-cubes into their pool with fish in it, so they were busy eating it.

Major Mess

Cuttlefish
Registered
dwhatley;137603 said:
Hey guy, this was a JOKE!
Why? I found this thing really great and it sure is some enrichment for the animals (but I agree, Octopus would probably just rip it apart...)

I didn´t get the 7 words thing...:confused:

Greets

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Discussions on 'enrichment' are long-standing and recurring here, with Greg squarely on the skeptic team - that's where his seven words came from. :smile:

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
D,

Yeah, I knew it was a joke. I think I remember seeing a presentation on a person training a gold fish to go through hoops and such. That is why I decided to poke a little fun at it.

Greg

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
gjbarord;137680 said:
D,

Yeah, I knew it was a joke. I think I remember seeing a presentation on a person training a gold fish to go through hoops and such. That is why I decided to poke a little fun at it.

Greg
On the other hand I have several journals with videos showing examples of human enrichment with octopuses :sagrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards