• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

I just don't think they would survive the shipping and may not yet survive even in the current nursery. There is a lot to be said for being able to keep one for a full year so double the cost for double the lifetime is reasonable ($80 is too much in my opinion, food expenses are not like cuttles) and he is probably not making anything on the shipping (it costs more for individuals to ship) but spending $140 on an animal that is very unlikely to survive to the destination makes no sense at all. I was very lucky with my first brood and 5 of the 6 hatchlings survived (unusually low hatching rate). My second brood of 50+ mercs did not stabalize until after 2 months and only 2 survived to a normal 8-12 month age.

It is also notable to comment that they will not even be seen until they are about 5 months old.

Unfortunately the question is retorical. You won't get flamed here so keep your journal and record what you observe.

We have raised them successfully in 55's in the past but have upped the desired tank size over time. Keep in mind that Legs is also an exception on longevity after brooding as well and her environment is likely part of the reason. Kooah, KaySoh and SueNami were raised in a 60 (length of a 65+ because of the 6" x 8" tubes) but that tank has an additional ~25 gallons of water in a 35 gallon sump. Creepy lived in a 45 but she had no arms (literally) and would never achieve normal adult length (nor was she ever social). I took on Creepy because she had no place to go but would not have put a healthy briareus in that tank even though it was built out for an octopus and has housed several smaller ones very successfully.

I have a 20 gallon refugium now and will be adding another sump for the larger protein skimmer I have. I believe it will add 30 gallons to the system so I hope that will help. The protein skimmer is rated for a 350 gallon tank so that should work out fine. Though I already use carbon in my refugium I will be adding on a canister filter. How does this sound?

Water volume should help a lot. Try to arrange your LR to give maximize hunting and denning possibilities (I have found centering the LR and even bringing it further forward in the center, gives three sides to explore and room behind to den - don't skimp on the LR though). Swimming room is pretty much limited by length.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back