• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Tim,
I checked with Tom (the collector who most often has them) last week and he indicated that the young ones should start coming out at the end of the spring. Currently, he does not have any available and the last one a TONMO member acquired was older than desireable.

We recommend that LFSs do not sell mimic or wunderpus octopuses, and you'll find a lot of information on this site as to why. If you would PM me the name of the store, I'd be glad to talk with them about this (in a polite way).

Someone here might like the small briareus.

Thanks for calling this to our attention,

Nancy

If you are of the mind, read on this site why we don't keep mimic or wunderpus, and explain it politely to your LFS guys. After I did, they decided NOT to try to get them- if for no other reason (there are so many better reasons) it's just not worth the price!

I had no intention of getting it I was just saying. I didnt really know everyone was so opposed to it but I can see why. The briareous are very small. looks like they just hatched, and they have eggs too.

Hi, well after a hiatus from octopus keeping i decided i would like to try on more time. I have a 110 gallon aquarium that would be dedicated to this. So my question is, does anyone know where i could get an octopus in Miami, Florida.

Since my LFS never got in an octo since my first I bought, I've used Saltwaterfish.com on the last two, and both were hummelincki. I love that site, excellent packaging, lowest shipping price, and excellent customer service. One lady actually photographed the octo to the point where I could ID the orange eyespots, before I confirmed to ship it. I think its your best bet as far as getting hummelincki, although they are listed as Briaerus.

I just ordered an octopus from reefscavengers.com labeled as "Bimac." My guess is that it is actually o. hummellincki, but i will see soon. I get it on tuesday. Anyways, they have 3 more in stock if anyone is interested.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back