• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octo tank size....

DurMan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi all; this is my first post, so please don't throw things at me.

Q: I am thinking of setting up a SW tank to put an octo in. According to Octopets a tank anywhere from 25-55g would be enough, so I was planning on getting a 30g aquarium. Is this really enough?

By the by, I'd be getting the little guy from Octopets.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

We recommend a 50 gallon tank for a bimac - we had several bimacs become so large that they almost outgrew the 50 gallon. Some stay smaller, but still a thirty gallon tank is really too small. You need the extra room both for your octo to swim about and also to allow for plenty of live rock and lots of oxygen.

In a lab environment where they use a flow-through system and no live rock, a bimac could live in a 30 gallon, but for the rest of us, a 50 gallon or larger is the way to go.

Many of our TONMO bimacs came from Octopets.

Good luck with your octopus :)

Nancy

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Re: Octo tank size....

DurMan said:
Hi all; this is my first post, so please don't throw things at me.
:tomato:
Hard to resist :mrgreen: ... Welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

Members online

No members online now.