• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo tank size....

DurMan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi all; this is my first post, so please don't throw things at me.

Q: I am thinking of setting up a SW tank to put an octo in. According to Octopets a tank anywhere from 25-55g would be enough, so I was planning on getting a 30g aquarium. Is this really enough?

By the by, I'd be getting the little guy from Octopets.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

We recommend a 50 gallon tank for a bimac - we had several bimacs become so large that they almost outgrew the 50 gallon. Some stay smaller, but still a thirty gallon tank is really too small. You need the extra room both for your octo to swim about and also to allow for plenty of live rock and lots of oxygen.

In a lab environment where they use a flow-through system and no live rock, a bimac could live in a 30 gallon, but for the rest of us, a 50 gallon or larger is the way to go.

Many of our TONMO bimacs came from Octopets.

Good luck with your octopus :smile:

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back