[Octopus]: Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

dwhatley;123090 said:
Octane's tank is holding cycle very well, the pump had to be reshipped as FedEx lost it and both the new and the lost (in a mangled box) pumps showed up Friday so I will probably move Octane next week. I am hoping he will swim through the joining tubes but he may just walk like this little guy decided to do today.

I just love this tank!!! seeing this had gotten my mind moving on so many different ideas that my wallet laughed at...

Bigpapa;123101 said:
I just love this tank!!! seeing this had gotten my mind moving on so many different ideas that my wallet laughed at...

That tank is one I had seen and really liked so when it showed up on eBay (I was looking for a larger acrylic tank for Octane), I threw in a bid for $100, not really expecting to get it. We will probably have about $500 when all is said an done but, as you know, that is still a sweet price!

Careless mistake.

I am afraid Octane will not have the experience of living in his new tank. He has been showing the beginnings of sesenence this last month and I have excellerated his end by carelessly leaving his top open. I have been trying to do an extra water change on his tank on the weekends and the kids (my adult kids that live in South GA) were here while I was changing out his water and I guess I lost focus (I have never done this before and am still beating myself up). Apparently he woke up from his nap sometime later and discovered the open top and climbed out while we were out of the room. I am not sure how long he was on the floor but there was obvious slime coat problems on his mantle and today he started eating his arms and can not swim. :cry:

This is probably the hardest post I have ever made but feel it is important to record what has happened.

:sad: So sorry about Octane D. I know it must be difficult to experience and even more so to share. He's come so far and given so much since your initial expectations though! He has really opened all of our eyes to the species!

I've done lot's of careless things in this hobby that have really screwed me over and i've lost some pets that i really enjoyed, so i understand how you feel kinda. One time i found my procupine puffer sucked in the riser tube to my filter... it made me cry shhhh. i'm sorry to hear about what happened. Good luck

D, thank you for being honest with us about what happened, and as you say, it must have been difficult to write about. It 's important for the rest of us to know, as we build up our body of knowledge about octopus keeping. Honestly, with another octopus, nothing at all might have happened.

According to the List of Our Octopuses, Octane arrived on January 22, wild caught, so he's been with you a long time and had a good life.

So sorry,

Nancy

Thank you, for sharing your last post. As a mom of young kids, I've already walked away from Al's open tank for my girls. My kids are old enough to be interested and walt to take part in Al's care, but young enough to be easily distracted. Your post will help us all do a better job of being more careful when we've got an open octo tank!

Thanks, also for keeping such an entertaining and informative journal about Octane!:goodbye:

Octane died tonight

He continued chewing on his arms and the spot on his mantle that I knew was in trouble started sluffing skin. Tonight he was listless but seemed to willingly accept my touch without pain (or at least he did not shy away and did lean into my hand). It is not much consolation that I knew we were getting close since he was sleeping most of the time and had missed two nights of interaction (other than vacation, he had played every night since he started interacting). The hardest part is the way he died. He looked like the films of the cuttles after mating with very ragged arms and dying skin. Having lost my mercs from old age, I had expected the same, much slower and less horrendous kind of end. The stress and damage to his slime coat from being out and under the fan took a tremendous toll, on both of us. I probably should have taken pictures but I did not want to have a reminder on how he looked.

I have already caught myself looking at the tank as I always do going up and down the stairs to my office. He was a terrific pet and I hope I will have others that are as gentle and personable. Thanks for all the kind words.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back