• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O. Briareus Future Setup

Yes it is bad on two accounts. One, as I mentioned is the clogging and I have a tank with that problem and guarantee it is worth the second overflow. Two it will give you better circulation if you can separate them. My problem tank is side drilled so it would not help with the circulation but it would keep a lot of water off the floor. Try to negotiate a price reduction, sometimes people will negotiate once they know you are serious about spending money. Once they set the tank up for drilling, the work of adding additional holes in minimal and this is a likely negotiable item as it does not incur additional costs.

SCWD's are remarkable little gizmo's. They work well, last a long time, don't require electricity and they don't add perceptible heat. I had not seen the video and still need to watch it but when looking for a reference I could not resist because of the squid at the beginning :wink:. They are available through most on-line pet stores so shop for prices. They do reduce the volume a bit so do some reading before deciding on a size and a pump.

LOL, I just watched the video and giggled over having mentioned the same bullet points.

Thanks for consolidating everything.

And are you recommending two different holes with their own weirs? or two holes with one weir? I also have the option of getting a 1500gph overflow box that requires two holes to be drilled.

Ok, so lets say I only do one return. Would this stuff all be the right sizes and whatnot?

SCWD 3/4"
Search results for: '' - Bulk Reef Supply

PVC tubing (1 1/2" for overflow and 3/4" for return)

700gph overflow kit
Glass-Holes.com is for sale | HugeDomains

(2 of) 3/4" loc-line return kits
Glass-Holes.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Mag 950gph return pump (head height will probably be around 3ft)

Ball valves (1 1/2"x 1 1/2" for overflow and 3/4"x3/4" for return)

their are cheeper options for the overflow kit than the glass-holes kits, personaly i'm not crazy about thier mounting system with the bulked going throught the back of the box, it leaves a space behind the overflow that i don't like.
i prefer to just silicone the box right to the back of the tank, you can build a glass or acrylic overflow box prety simple and i think they work better without teeth.
or you can buy the box from brs
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-tanks-refugiums/overflows-1/internal.html

personaly i would build 2 corner boxes about the size of the brs 1200gph box and put one on each end of the tank

I think there is an advantage to having two weirs (I just cannot recommend only one exit, I have far too much trouble with the one tank that has only one) in that you can easily place the sump return between them. We built out Monty's tank from scraps,including the weirs (with the help of an LFS that cut the teeth, our attempts at cutting teeth for the tube tank left much to be desired :oops) and think this tank has the best flow, especially for removing ink.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back