O. Briareus Future Setup

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by wii64brawl, Feb 18, 2013.

1. wii64brawl

wii64brawl Blue Ring Registered

So when money allows (hopefully soon), I want to setup a tank for an O. briareus. The tank will be somewhere between 60-70 gallons depending on what I can find. I was hoping to do a sump less tank. Disregarding "the water will be more stable," is there any reason why I could do all HOB stuff? I was just going to use a Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer and an Aquaclear HOB filter to run some carbon just incase he inks. If you look at the intakes, they're both relatively small, so I could just put some gutter-guard over them so he couldn't get in.

The big problem is octoproofing. How would I go about octoproofing the tank? I'm assuming I need a lid, and I read that its good to put an acrylic lock (forgot exactly what its called) on the lid so he can't push it open.

Am I missing anything?

2. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

the hob filters leave to much opening for escape, i'd think it would be prety much imposible to octo proof the return chute on the aquaclear or any other hob filter

3. wii64brawl

Yeah... You're probably right. I guess I'll end up doing a sump.

So with a sump, how do you octoproof? Because everyone says that octos need tons of oxygen, but wouldn't you have to put a lid on the tank (which would prevent oxygen exchange)?

4. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

best thing to do is use a drilled or reef ready tank so the drains and returns go threw the back,sides or bottom as long as the drains are well protected you can leave the sump open and use a well oversized skimmer to help with extra oxygenation

5. wii64brawl

Could I just glue some fine mesh over the overflow holes? Or would the octo try to pull it off? And how did you go about the top? Would it be possible for you to post some pics? I just can't picture how to do this. Thanks!

6. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

i have reef ready tanks so the overflow and return plumbing are inside the tank and the top is solid glass, i put duct tape across the back and the wood canopy sits on top of that and the edges of the glass so you have to move the canopy to one side slightly to lift the glass wich is split in half by the tank bracing
    you can see in this post how i octo proofed the inside of the overflow, the black tubing is the return line that comes up inside the overflow and out the sides. octos don't like things that are prickly fealing so when they reach inside and fell this they tend to not want to continue any further and if they did try to squeze by it would be quite painfull

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?28395-forund-a-good-material-for-blocking-drains

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I've marked a few of the more complete build out threads in the Tank Buildouts Sticky but there is a lot in the entire Tank Talk forum that should give you some ideas and guidelines.

8. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

oh yea i almost forgot , fine mesh on the overflow is a big no no it will clog quickly

9. wii64brawl

Is there a way to octoproof with an HOB overflow or not? The only custom tank makers in the area make acrylic tanks, but I want glass. And I really don't trust myself to drill a tank...

10. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

you can buy reef ready tanks that are not custom made.
    these are aqueon 65g tanks i paid $150 each for them new but this was a lucky deal from a store i have bought my last 5 tanks from

Attached Files:

11. wii64brawl

12. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

yup thats it, i have the 65's,a 72 bow and a 92 corner bow, the tanks are prety good quality but i think if you shoop around you might find a better price. one thing to keep in mind when buying these tanks new, if you want them to honor the warenty(ive never needed it) the tanks has to be on aqueons matching stand or the warenty is void.
    you might as well get the megaflow overflow kit as well, should be able to find it on line for $50-60 and by the time you find all the pipe, fittings,bulkeds,lockline parts+ time and gas to run around and find it all it will cost more than geting the package

13. TMoct

TMoct O. vulgaris Supporter

I'm not sure where you are, but in my local area there are *tons* of reef-ready tanks (often with stands) available on craigslist for very cheap compared to new. I'm setting up a new tank and saved about 50% of the cost by getting the glass and the stand on craigslist -- and that was for a setup in "like-new" condition.

CaptFish likes this.
  14. wii64brawl

I'm gonna see if my LFS can custom make or find one in the parameters I give them. I'm hoping to do a 65 gallon tank with a single chamber 15 gallon sump just for a skimmer and a bag of carbon.

I would buy off craigslist, but many of the tanks are FW are had FW in them, and most people never know whether copper was dosed in the tank or not.

15. wii64brawl

Well actually, I see that my local petsmart is an Aqueon supplier. So maybe I'll see if they can order me one. And is it just me, or is the 65 not that long? Its only 3 feet long.

16. TMoct

TMoct O. vulgaris Supporter

Excellent point about the copper -- be careful!

17. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

18. wii64brawl

I saw that place, and the prices are to die for. But I've read that the quality isn't great. But others swear by the tanks. So irdk.

19. wii64brawl

So I just found possibly the best thing ever. 75 gallon drilled glass tank with a glass top, overflow kit, and a stand for 600$. I customized it on the Petco build your own aquarium tool. Anyone ever buy a tank like that?

20. wii64brawl

Thoughts on a briareus in a 55? I can either get a 55 (48"x13"x20") or a 75 (48"x18"x20") LxWxH. So the difference is 5" of width. Honestly, a 55 would work a lot better in my life (I could set it up sooner and it would be easier for me to maintain due to money).