[News]: Very Large Colossal Squid Caught

Hi looks2ce and Cairnos,

The pictures to which you referred to over at Squidblog we believe probably referred to a different capture, probably on the 8th January. It's almost certain that two colossals have been caught within a couple of weeks of each other but the media is beginning to mix up the two incidents. There was no press release over the first photos and as they have only begun to emerge in the last few days it's understandable that they have begun to be confused. It's all a bit of a mess at the moment, but stay tuned, I'm sure the truth will emerge here fairly soon.

Interesting times, eh?

believe me Phil - I am staying tuned :smile::smile:

just a short time ago I thought architeuthis was it. The biggest and last mystery of the deep (cephalogically speaking of course).

Colossal squid caught by New Zealand fishermen
[SIZE=-1]Globe and Mail, Canada - 21 minutes ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wellington -- A New Zealand fishing crew has caught an adult colossal squid, a sea creature with eyes as big as dinner plates and razor-sharp hooks on its ...[/SIZE]

More...

450 kg colossal squid caught
[SIZE=-1]Vancouver Province (subscription), Canada - 1 hour ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]WELLINGTON -- A New Zealand fishing crew has caught an adult colossal squid, a sea creature with eyes as big as dinner plates and razor-sharp hooks on its ...[/SIZE]

More...

Giant squid found
[SIZE=-1]Sky News Australia, Australia - 6 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The crew landed the Colossus Squid in the Antarctic's Ross Sea, proof of a giant animal which was previously thought to be mythological. ...[/SIZE]

More...

A Very Large Squid
[SIZE=-1]Technocrat.net, MA - 6 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Fishermen down in Antarctica have caught a new world record giant squid. One o the few completely intact specimens ever recovered, it tips the scales at 450 ...[/SIZE]

More...

Hooked : Fishermen haul up a giant squid
[SIZE=-1]Unison.ie (subscription), Ireland - 6 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FOR centuries they have been the stuff of sailors' nightmares - enormous squid dwelling in the depths of the ocean. But fishermen in New Zealand came face ...[/SIZE]

More...

Colossal Squid caught,
[SIZE=-1]Geekzone, New Zealand - 11 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]however according to reports I have read, if anything was going to be doing these attacks (that we know of) then its more likely to be the colossal squid ...[/SIZE]

More...

Mammoth task to display giant squid
[SIZE=-1]TV3 News, New Zealand - 10 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The 450 kg squid, which was hauled out of the depths of the Antarctic, is being considered for display at the national museum. ...[/SIZE]

More...

[SIZE=-2]TV3 News[/SIZE]

Collosal squid to be studied at Te Papa
[SIZE=-1]TV3 News, New Zealand - 16 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A marine biologist has praised a commercial fishing crew, for their care in hauling an adult colossal squid on board in one piece. ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Creature from the deep to be studied at Te Papa [SIZE=-1]TV3 News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 3 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

What do colossal squid and DS and PSP games have in common?
[SIZE=-1]Pocket Gamer, UK - 17 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Incidentally, did you hear about the New Zealand fishermen who have recently landed what is thought to be a world record-breaking squid at some 10 metres in ...[/SIZE]

More...

The proportions are really strange and it shows in this aspect really not much resemblance to the life-sized squid-model from the animal-face-off series...and looks also very different from my little Mesonychoteuthis-sculpture.

Phil;88240 said:
Hi looks2ce and Cairnos,

The pictures to which you referred to over at Squidblog we believe probably referred to a different capture, probably on the 8th January. It's almost certain that two colossals have been caught within a couple of weeks of each other but the media is beginning to mix up the two incidents. There was no press release over the first photos and as they have only begun to emerge in the last few days it's understandable that they have begun to be confused. It's all a bit of a mess at the moment, but stay tuned, I'm sure the truth will emerge here fairly soon.

Interesting times, eh?

What do we know here Phil? Can we have a summary of the situation as it stands?

If I understand correctly. The NZ Colossal that was featured on the BBC news site is one capture, but there appears to be another capture from January, now with different pics? What's the source on the 8th jan story?

Curiouser and curiouser.

CapnNemo;88260 said:
What do we know here Phil? Can we have a summary of the situation as it stands?
Hello Capn',

I'll post what little more I know later, possibly in a separate thread to mitigate confusion. (From reading the news, you'd sometimes think that Archie, Meso and Taningia were the same species.) For now: those other pics are dated January 8, 2007, and were sent by the boat's skipper to a contact in the US. More story and pics to come, surely!

Cheers,
Adam

Hello Captain,

Man, I know what you mean! We've enjoyed an embarassment of riches in the last few months.

Tintenfisch;88191 said:
Yeah, the head is tiny - it looks so much narrower than the mantle, especially in the second photo....Unless this Meso had big googly eyes, that exploded...:bugout:
...when I put the two overall shots side-by-side, I see exactly what you mean. My:twocents:? First shot the squid's still alive (one harpoon is entering the head), second shot it's dead (two harpoons solidly in the head). Kat, my bet is that you're right, that the hemispherical eyes ruptured within the brachial crown once those two harpoons went in, and the head shrank accordingly. The deflated, flattened mantle contributes to the impression of a tiny head, as does the angle at which the shot was taken. Perspective plays funny tricks on 2-D squid.:wink:

Cheers,
Clem

Attachments

• conv_290288.jpg
    conv_290288.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 100
I am just tired of constantly justifying the sort of research we do when there is no obvious actual or perceived immediate value.

There is so much commercially driven research undertaken today; it is stiffling creativity.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back