New octopus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by DHyslop, Dec 3, 2006.

1. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Our bimac arrived happy and healthy Friday courtesy of Zyan and Federal Express. His mantle length is about an inch and his name is coming soon. He hatched the week of August 5th making him about four months old.

After drip acclimating I put the bag in the water and he climbed out within 30 seconds and started looking for a den. Here's a 2 mb video of how he found his first candidate location

[​IMG]

After about a half hour he had enough of that spot and climbed under the arch and made a new home on the back of the same piece where he's been ever since. We were a little worried because he didn't eat Friday or Saturday, but Saturday night I found the remains of a crab not an hour after the lights went out.

This morning I put in another and it was dead as soon as it walked by the den. Unfortunately I didn't see either event first hand. I haven't actually seen him since he moved behind the rock, but I have seen little plumes of dust when he moves and the occasional little red cephalo-poop leaving the vicinity.

Videos and pictures should be forthcoming as he becomes less shy.

Dan

2. Indiana OCHO

Indiana OCHO Blue Ring Registered

Dan,

Congrats on your new friend. I plan on getting one from him too, glad to see that yours arrived safe and happy.

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Dan -- good deal. Congrats!

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Awesome!

5. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Awesome and great news on your new baby! I also plan to get one hopefully by the end of this week! :) Nothing like a Bimac!!!!!:grin:

6. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations and welcome to the little bimac! As soon as we have a name, I'll add him to the List of Our Octopuses.

Bimacs have such good personalities - looking forward to pics!

Nancy

7. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to the new octo! And from your pics recently, I'm sure he has luxury accomodations!

8. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

:welcome: to the new bimac! I hope he feels at home soon, because I'm looking forward to the pics!:grin:

9. DHyslop

This morning he pounced on a crab for me! About 3 mb.

[​IMG]

10. Nancy

What a wonderful little octopus. I believe Zyan still has some left, if anyone is interested.

Nancy

11. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

As soon as I have trapped and relocated my fish in the 75 gallon to other tanks I am ordering one from Zyan.

12. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

I already ordered mine, and it'll be here Wednesday!

:D

13. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

And mine will be here Friday! Do we know who has Zyans babies? I remember there was a whole group of us a few years ago who all got babies from a supplier in Ca. Some of those babies, Ink I think was one of them, lasted over a year in our tanks! It was awesome comparing and keeping up with all the different experiences and personalities of the related babies!

14. DHyslop

An exciting time to be an octopus owner!

15. DHyslop

I'm a little worried. This morning I confirmed that both overnight crabs are still alive, which means he hasn't eaten now in three days. I hope this is just due to the lower temperature (~65).

16. Nancy

Do you have lots of amphipods in your tank? It's possible that your octo is feeding on them. That's what little Ollie die, and she was about the size of the bimcs you have now.

Nancy

17. DHyslop

I hope that's the case, I do have plenty of amphipods.

18. DHyslop

Ivar isn't doing so well. This morning we found him on top of a rock. While he's moved around a little he has curled the tips of his arms and is neither breathing very discernably nor reacting much to stimulus. I tried to offer him some thawed krill on a skewer but he doesn't react to it. I also tried dangling a small female fiddler over him, similarly no reaction. I'm not sure why he stopped eating a few days after he arrived: he has plenty of food and shelter and we've left him pretty much alone to do his own thing.

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:fingerscrossed: for Ivar. Knowing you, I'm sure that you have checked all the water params and and done water changes and anything else you could think of, so I won't toss out suggestions from the peanut gallery...

20. DHyslop

Yeah, the water's pristine. I've been keeping the Oregon crabs in the tank with him because they like to disarticulate their smaller fiddling cousins in my feeder bin--but I doubt having a half dozen crabs wandering around the tank would be stressful for him. I wouldn't complain if I had a bunch of little donuts walking around my apartment.

Otherwise I can't think of anything. We got him and he waited a couple days before eating (makes sense, stress of shipping), then a few days later stopped eating again.