• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New octopus

To be honest we are pretty sure we're getting another one, but just wanted to hear some encouragement (and thank you all for obliging).

I've been keeping track of new octos for many years now. It just seems to happen from time to time that one doesn't make it, even though others from the same source do just fine. If your water quallity is fine, which I imagine it is, and you have invertebrates such as amphipods and shrimp doing OK in the tank, I'd say it was a problem with the octopus and shipping, maybe stress.

Yes, you should try another.

Nancy

I'm sorry to hear....Sometimes an animal just does not make it. I had a baby from Octopets. Lil Pumpkin...she never grew. Came in the size of a dime and only grew to the size of a quarter. Genetic/Birth Defect. Now in the wild she would have died probably immediately. I would deffinately try again.

New octopus

Nancy;83834 said:
What a wonderful little octopus. I believe Zyan still has some left, if anyone is interested.

Nancy
Hello yesterday afternoon I bought an octopus from a very wll known aquarium inmy area that has been open for 50 yrs + put him in a established tank with live rock the tank was set up about 7mos ago and I tested the water before I bought this kool Guy! this am befor work he was moving around until I turned the light on at 7am I arrived home 7pm tonight only to find him DEAD!!!! what a heartbreaker for me and my family its not like im a beginner i have had these about 7 yrs ago and the shortest lived one I had was 8mos and the longest one was a bit over 2 yrs im lost I cant think of what happened to him???? I know he stressed a bit during capture from the petshop and being bagged I acclimated him for like 3 hrs very slowly!!! my little 5yr old is obsessed with these creatures so I decided to get one for use now this lil kid of mine is heartbroken and its the holiday season and I dont know were to get another by the way ive been watching him eat in the store 2-3 times before I purchased him!!! so he looked fine to me!!!! what do you all think and can someone please help me get another my e-mail is [email protected] thanx so much Chris!!!

ok,

1) please clear up your post it took me a while to decipher it all :smile:

2) Make a new thread for this becaue everybody is mourning dans bimac right now and giving sugestions

3) talk to Zyan! Have you not read the posts???

Beastmaster--

Be wary of any cephs available locally. Even the best known aquarium sources (even national mail-order houses like That Pet Place) know next to nothing about octopuses. Even worse, the only ones on their distributor lists are usually wild-caught and imported from who knows where. If know one knows where your octopus came form, no one can accurately tell you what temperature your tank should be, etc.

At TONMO the only people offering cephs (Zyan, Marinebioguy, Cuttlegirl, Danthemarineman) know exactly what species they're dealing with and what the correct tank parameters are.

Good luck!

Dan

Ambivalent about multiple octos

The big Z has offered me two for the price of one.

Not sure how I feel about this. Let me itemize my thoughts:

1) This doubles my chances if one is naturally sickly.

2) Common experience is that one will eventually conquer the other.

3) That in and of itself isn't that big of a problem--what I'm more worried about is having two would prevent them from being as comfortable in the tank and thus as social.

4) There's only one size shipping box, so I spend the same amount whether I get one or two! Since this is my second shipment, I've already invested quite a handful. FedEx pricing is volumetric--in a perfect world I could get a single octopus for half the price because the box would be smaller; in that case there would be no reason to buy two.

Thoughts?

Dan

Do you have another tank? I'd be inclined to go for both.....Does he ship them both in the same bag? Interesting...You could even set up a critter pen within your main tank till you figure out different housing.

There would be a separate bag; but I have no hope of separate housing once it arrived. They'd be in the tank together.

I'm strongly considering just one. I get a hefty FedEx discount if Z bills it to my account (corporate partner rate), so while the cost per animal is still high, its not egregiously so.

I probably have a few more hours to decide, so if anyone else has anything to add please do :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back