Mythos Minis

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Graeme, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Graeme

Graeme Vampyroteuthis Registered

Does anyone collect miniatures, be it RPG or Wargames? If you do you'll maybe be familiar with te RAFM lead Cthulhu Mythos miniatures. I paint up some in my spare time, used to be an avid wargamer, but not having much time these days (I did buy me a snazzy Gundam Kit last week though! THat was fun to build). Anyhoo, here's some I painted earlier- anyone else paint? Post 'em! BTW, a few need re-touched, and varnished.

[​IMG] An Elder Being, or Elder Thing from At the Mountains Of Madness, my fave short!! Probably my most cherished mini!

[​IMG] A shoggoth, also from the same story. THis is actually 2 shoggie models, I just sat them together to make an even bigger, badder beastie! One's varnished, the other aint.

[​IMG] One of Pickman's ghouls! :bugout:

Graeme

2. Graeme

More!

[​IMG] A gug; very weird looking, and BIG! From Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, another good story, if you like meandering "epics" that twist and turn everywhere, very dreamlike, and very "dark fantasy"!

[​IMG] the Great Cthulhu, Himself. This is a BIIIIG, hefty model. I can't even call it a miniature! Entered it in the painting compo at last year's local wargames/modelling convention (one of the best in Scotland!), but never won. Ach well. I was expecting that anyway looking at some of hte entries, but this woman who enters those plastic pre-painted jacobite statues you find in tacky souvineer shops won YET AGAIN!! AND she got second or third prize as well! Bit of a farce like, but it's still a good day!

Appologies if these pics are too big, I'll post smaller ones if need be.
    Graeme

3. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Sweeeeeeeeet. No more?

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Kind of bummed here. My great god sure has a small wanker.

5. OctoPussyAZ

OctoPussyAZ Wonderpus Supporter

I just think it's curious that everyone makes Cthulhu green... it's obviously being transmitted to us in our nightmares.

6. Toren

Toren Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Oh me! Me! I have some of those minis! I have the gug and the shoggoth and others. I painted the gug blue to match my gug costume (http://www.thickets.net/content/view/51/46/ just over halfway down in between the two insects).

There is actually a newer Cthulhu mini (not quite as big) that I like a lot better than the RAFM one (not that it's to sneeze at). It's called "eldritch demon" by Reaper minis.

7. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Exellent Graeme. Those Gug and the Shoggoth beasties reminds me of something out of John Carpenter's The Thing. You just need a moulten husky head or two in there.

8. Toren

Here's the Cthulhu mini I was talking about

http://www.coolminiornot.com/70823
    (I did not paint this - I'm still working on mine)

I'll have to wait until I buy a digital camera before I can post pics of my painted minis.

9. Toren

In the story he's mentioned as being green.

10. Toren

Good use of varnish to make the monster look slimey. Even on the prepainted D&D minis I sometimes hit them with the glossy spray to give them a wet sheen look.

11. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Toren,

You've got to post pics of that Gug costume!

12. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Greg, you of all people should know that it's not the size of the, uh, monster that matters, but the unspeakable eldritch horror in it.

:indiffer:

13. Graeme

I'm working on it. I'll have to repaint some of them. I've got more tme on my hands now, hopefully, so I'll have to get back into painting.

You use wanker for THAT!? it's a bit more... err... explicit over here. Means he who partakes in the hand-shanty... I suppose it's like how you guys in the States use the word fanny to describe yer bum whereas over here it's again, a bit rude:wink: :oops:
    ahem... what did I wanna say? Oh yeah. That's not his "winkie", it's just a bot of... well... Blod I suppose. Remember he isn't flesh and blood and so he's gonna be breaking up, oozing about and reforming all over hte place, and I think that's just what that is.... or a rather nasty hernia! :goofysca: ouch!

Graeme

14. Graeme

Phil, that's exactly what went through my mind when I first saw the miniatures, 'specially the Gug!!

Oh, and Toren, that's a VERY nice Cthulhu! You're in Darkest of hte Hillside Thickets, eh? What kind of music do you play? Is it metal? Most bands that borrow from the Mythos are Death or Black metal, like Nile, or Yog Sothoth (only listened to Nile really), oh and the occasional 'Tallica song. Think I said somewhere else that I was spaeking to a guy who likes the Misfits nad we were thinking of putting together a HPL-themed band (or at least do some themed songs) just to get out and gigging a bit round the local circuit, I spose. By the wya, that's a wicked-sick Gug cossie! Fantastic!

Graeme

15. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like he doesn't need it yet anyway. :wink:

(From 'I, Cthulhu')

16. Toren

Why do you force me to hijack this thread? Oh wait, I guess I brought it up. We are definitely not death metal. Though we are heavy rock/punk pop/alterna-grunge/whatever. You can listen to several songs here: http://www.thickets.net/content/blogsection/9/38/ (I recommend The Math Song and 20 Minutes of Oxygen for an introductory listen)

That photo doesn't really show the split forearms that well, but they're there. I try for authenticity in my Lovecraft monster costumes. There's a few more here

Specifically: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/toren_atkinson/detail?.dir=851e&.dnm=daef.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/toren_atkinson/detail?.dir=851e&.dnm=3cf9.jpg&.src=ph

However, of all my costumes my giant space fluke is clearly my favourite
    CLICK TO SEE GIANT SPACE FLUKE!

17. Graeme

Those are some pretty mental get-ups! You guys really do have to come to Scotland some time!! By the way, I appologise for the seriously bad typing. I need a new keyboard as that one's totally on the blink! I'm at uni now, and so I can actualyl type and make sense for the time being! :lol:

Graeme

18. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

great story eh kat?

19. Graeme

That was a funny story! Has Neil Gaiman not contributed to the Mythos?

Here's the Yithian beastie I'm doing just now. The new project, as it were.

[​IMG] it's a bit bright, because of the flash, it's more like:
    [​IMG] but it's not a great photo.

Oh, and just to put a face to the forumer! Here's me painting! I know I look a bit rough, it's because I've developed a cold, and my eyes are tired (I've also got an annoying cough, but that's a different matter!)
    [​IMG]

Graeme

20. Toren