• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

My new Argonauta

marinebio_guy

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Well this afternoon I went Kayaking with my Mom who was visiting, about 15 minutes into the trip and af corse as a Marine biologist was loking down into the water when a female Argonauta floated right by the boat. I'm suprised I did not flip the boat right then because I was so excited. Luckely I was able to grab it from the boat but I probably would have swam a mile to get if I had to. Pics of it will soon fallow. Hopefully I will be able to keep it alive, the longest time someone has kept one alive is about 2 weeks I think. Hopefully with my Marine Lab resources and the resouces of the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Aquaium I will be able set a new record and get some good scientific data from it. Wish me luck.:smile:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
marinebio_guy said:
Well this afternoon I went Kayaking with my Mom who was visiting, about 15 minutes into the trip and af corse as a Marine biologist was loking down into the water when a female Argonauta floated right by the boat. I'm suprised I did not flip the boat right then because I was so excited. Luckely I was able to grab it from the boat but I probably would have swam a mile to get if I had to. Pics of it will soon fallow. Hopefully I will be able to keep it alive, the longest time someone has kept one alive is about 2 weeks I think. Hopefully with my Marine Lab resources and the resouces of the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Aquaium I will be able set a new record and get some good scientific data from it. Wish me luck.:smile:
luck luck luck luck luck! (we need a shamrock smilie)

anxiously awaiting pictures... and since I'm close, any chance of visiting?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
monty said:
luck luck luck luck luck! (we need a shamrock smilie)
And here's a shamrock smilie, too:

edit: as long as I'm at it, I made a fingers-crossed smilie, too, but I don't think it turned out as well:

Attachments

ravenschild

Cuttlefish
Registered
Good luck! I'm at the Santa Barbara Museum, and there's an Aussie here going through our collections working specifically on Argonauta. Seems to really know his stuff on them. You should get in touch, since you're close.

marinebio_guy

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
ravenschild said:
Good luck! I'm at the Santa Barbara Museum, and there's an Aussie here going through our collections working specifically on Argonauta. Seems to really know his stuff on them. You should get in touch, since you're close.
I was just up there last week. You can give him my e-mail marinebio_guy@yahoo.com I would like to know as much as possible.

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Congratulations on your lucky find!

Please keep us all updated!

I'll help put them up too. If the photos are too large to email I have a assisted FTP you can upload to - you don't need any software to use it, just like the images here, but no size limit.

I'll pm you with the link if you need it.

Mike

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Quite a find! I never expected that anyone would be keeping Argonauta. It sounds like you have a good chance of keeping her healthy - what are you feeding her?

Good luck with this project and hope you can get some pics.

Nancy

marinebio_guy

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Nancy said:
Quite a find! I never expected that anyone would be keeping Argonauta. It sounds like you have a good chance of keeping her healthy - what are you feeding her?

Good luck with this project and hope you can get some pics.

Nancy
I am feeding her dead minnows that I caught last night, they are not active predators basicly eating things that get too close to them like small fish and krill.

ravenschild

Cuttlefish
Registered
marinebio_guy said:
I was just up there last week. You can give him my e-mail marinebio_guy@yahoo.com I would like to know as much as possible.
Update: I hunted him down (name is Julian, I believe) and gave him your email. He says he's kept them alive before, and will drop you a line when he gets to a working computer, as his laptop "Doesn't want to play Argonaouts anymore."

marinebio_guy

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
She passed away last week. She lived for 17 days which might be a new record for being held in captivity. I'm not sure why she died she was doing fine and eating but then one day she was not able to stay neutrally bouyant and just laid on the bottom of the tank and died 2 days later. It was awsome being able to have one even if it was for a short time. Maybe I will find another one someday.

Members online

No members online now.