• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My new Argonauta

Well this afternoon I went Kayaking with my Mom who was visiting, about 15 minutes into the trip and af corse as a Marine biologist was loking down into the water when a female Argonauta floated right by the boat. I'm suprised I did not flip the boat right then because I was so excited. Luckely I was able to grab it from the boat but I probably would have swam a mile to get if I had to. Pics of it will soon fallow. Hopefully I will be able to keep it alive, the longest time someone has kept one alive is about 2 weeks I think. Hopefully with my Marine Lab resources and the resouces of the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Aquaium I will be able set a new record and get some good scientific data from it. Wish me luck.:smile:

marinebio_guy said:
Well this afternoon I went Kayaking with my Mom who was visiting, about 15 minutes into the trip and af corse as a Marine biologist was loking down into the water when a female Argonauta floated right by the boat. I'm suprised I did not flip the boat right then because I was so excited. Luckely I was able to grab it from the boat but I probably would have swam a mile to get if I had to. Pics of it will soon fallow. Hopefully I will be able to keep it alive, the longest time someone has kept one alive is about 2 weeks I think. Hopefully with my Marine Lab resources and the resouces of the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Aquaium I will be able set a new record and get some good scientific data from it. Wish me luck.:smile:

luck luck luck luck luck! (we need a shamrock smilie)

anxiously awaiting pictures... and since I'm close, any chance of visiting?

monty said:
luck luck luck luck luck! (we need a shamrock smilie)

And here's a shamrock smilie, too:

edit: as long as I'm at it, I made a fingers-crossed smilie, too, but I don't think it turned out as well:

Attachments

• conv_289395.gif
    conv_289395.gif
    131 bytes · Views: 118
  • conv_289401.gif
    conv_289401.gif
    142 bytes · Views: 112
Good luck! I'm at the Santa Barbara Museum, and there's an Aussie here going through our collections working specifically on Argonauta. Seems to really know his stuff on them. You should get in touch, since you're close.

ravenschild said:
Good luck! I'm at the Santa Barbara Museum, and there's an Aussie here going through our collections working specifically on Argonauta. Seems to really know his stuff on them. You should get in touch, since you're close.

I was just up there last week. You can give him my e-mail [email protected] I would like to know as much as possible.

Congratulations on your lucky find!

Please keep us all updated!

I'll help put them up too. If the photos are too large to email I have a assisted FTP you can upload to - you don't need any software to use it, just like the images here, but no size limit.

I'll pm you with the link if you need it.

Mike

Quite a find! I never expected that anyone would be keeping Argonauta. It sounds like you have a good chance of keeping her healthy - what are you feeding her?

Good luck with this project and hope you can get some pics.

Nancy

Nancy said:
Quite a find! I never expected that anyone would be keeping Argonauta. It sounds like you have a good chance of keeping her healthy - what are you feeding her?

Good luck with this project and hope you can get some pics.

Nancy

I am feeding her dead minnows that I caught last night, they are not active predators basicly eating things that get too close to them like small fish and krill.

marinebio_guy said:
I was just up there last week. You can give him my e-mail [email protected] I would like to know as much as possible.

Update: I hunted him down (name is Julian, I believe) and gave him your email. He says he's kept them alive before, and will drop you a line when he gets to a working computer, as his laptop "Doesn't want to play Argonaouts anymore."

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back