Mesozoic Nautilids

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Here's a pile of Mesozoic nautilids thrown together on my desk. There's a big (15 cm) Triassic Germanonautilus at the back, the Omani Griesbachian one, a little black Norian one from British Columbia (just about impossible to see in this poor photo), a Jurassic Paracenoceras from France, a Jurassic Pseudaganides from Madagascar with beautiful spiral ornament, and a Cretaceous Syrionautilus from Lebanon.

Attachments

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Where to do guys KEEP all these ... rocks? I keep thinking I would love to build a fireplace with them inset but where do you put them so they can be easily found and viewed? Do you swap them in an out for display on a favored shelf? They need to be admired but where do you put them?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
The room is a mess right now, so no pics.:oops: I'll look for an old pic I took when they were laid out on a table. A lot of them are in museums or universities around here, and they all will be in a few years.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Kevin, I take it you're implying giving "with a warm hand", rather than a cold one? You should consider staying around for at least a few decades, not so much a few years :wink:

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
DWhatley;173754 said:
Do you keep a catalog of them and crossreference labels on the boxes?
They all have numbers attached (painted and/or glued) and are cataloged in a database (dBase IV/ Lotus Approach), no labels on the boxes, but they are grouped either by location or taxon. With only a few boxes it's fairly easy to keep track, but small label cards are in the works. :smile:

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Good to see Kevin. I'm about as organized, but in a more compact "den" space, surrounded by books, fossils, minerals, art, artefacts, microscope, photography gear, computing stuff and more.

Members online

No members online now.