Mesozoic Nautilids

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Here's a pile of Mesozoic nautilids thrown together on my desk. There's a big (15 cm) Triassic Germanonautilus at the back, the Omani Griesbachian one, a little black Norian one from British Columbia (just about impossible to see in this poor photo), a Jurassic Paracenoceras from France, a Jurassic Pseudaganides from Madagascar with beautiful spiral ornament, and a Cretaceous Syrionautilus from Lebanon.

Attachments

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Where to do guys KEEP all these ... rocks? I keep thinking I would love to build a fireplace with them inset but where do you put them so they can be easily found and viewed? Do you swap them in an out for display on a favored shelf? They need to be admired but where do you put them?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Kevin, I take it you're implying giving "with a warm hand", rather than a cold one? You should consider staying around for at least a few decades, not so much a few years :wink:

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
:biggrin2: Yes, OB, with a warm hand.

Some photos from a few years ago. Some more in boxes not shown, but this is how they are stored.

some Mesozoic Nautilids in the upper right of the lower left photo just to keep on topic.

Attachments

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Do you keep a catalog of them and crossreference labels on the boxes?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
DWhatley;173754 said:
Do you keep a catalog of them and crossreference labels on the boxes?
They all have numbers attached (painted and/or glued) and are cataloged in a database (dBase IV/ Lotus Approach), no labels on the boxes, but they are grouped either by location or taxon. With only a few boxes it's fairly easy to keep track, but small label cards are in the works. :smile:

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Good to see Kevin. I'm about as organized, but in a more compact "den" space, surrounded by books, fossils, minerals, art, artefacts, microscope, photography gear, computing stuff and more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branane

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards