Mesozoic Nautilids

Here's a pile of Mesozoic nautilids thrown together on my desk. There's a big (15 cm) Triassic Germanonautilus at the back, the Omani Griesbachian one, a little black Norian one from British Columbia (just about impossible to see in this poor photo), a Jurassic Paracenoceras from France, a Jurassic Pseudaganides from Madagascar with beautiful spiral ornament, and a Cretaceous Syrionautilus from Lebanon.

Attachments

• conv_304437.jpg
    conv_304437.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 87
Where to do guys KEEP all these ... rocks? I keep thinking I would love to build a fireplace with them inset but where do you put them so they can be easily found and viewed? Do you swap them in an out for display on a favored shelf? They need to be admired but where do you put them?

Kevin, I take it you're implying giving "with a warm hand", rather than a cold one? You should consider staying around for at least a few decades, not so much a few years :wink:

:biggrin2: Yes, OB, with a warm hand.

Some photos from a few years ago. Some more in boxes not shown, but this is how they are stored.

some Mesozoic Nautilids in the upper right of the lower left photo just to keep on topic.

Attachments

• conv_297987.jpg
    conv_297987.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 123
  • conv_297988.jpg
    conv_297988.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 106
  • conv_297989.jpg
    conv_297989.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 112
  • conv_297990.jpg
    conv_297990.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 105
DWhatley;173754 said:
Do you keep a catalog of them and crossreference labels on the boxes?

They all have numbers attached (painted and/or glued) and are cataloged in a database (dBase IV/ Lotus Approach), no labels on the boxes, but they are grouped either by location or taxon. With only a few boxes it's fairly easy to keep track, but small label cards are in the works. :smile:

Good to see Kevin. I'm about as organized, but in a more compact "den" space, surrounded by books, fossils, minerals, art, artefacts, microscope, photography gear, computing stuff and more.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back