[Octopus]: Maurice my octopus species??

What I find strange about my friend Maurice is that he seems to stay about 20 hours in his rocks, caves and housing and then in the early morning he may be out for a few hours. I recently saw him outside once in the afternoon but the very most of the time he is not to be seen. Kind of strange, isn't it?

I have wondered about light slightly differently. How much and how total is their dark time? I noticed with O. mercatoris, it seemed that never giving them full darkness (always with a place to hide and red lights on at night but not ever all lights off) seemed to help with training a reasonable and observation time. It appeared that if all lights were off during part of the night, that is the time the animals would come to hunt.
I found the same with both O. mercatoris and the macropus I’ve had. The O. briareus have all seemed to be happy to become more crepuscular and less nocturnal when living in a busy upstairs tank.

What I find strange about my friend Maurice is that he seems to stay about 20 hours in his rocks, caves and housing and then in the early morning he may be out for a few hours. I recently saw him outside once in the afternoon but the very most of the time he is not to be seen. Kind of strange, isn't it?
Are there any windows in your basement, or is all the lighting artificial? If artificial, do you have a regular “photoperiod” for the lights outside of the tank?

There is a big celler window but that's 6 meters away. There is not extremely much light shining into. If I wanted to read in the room I had to switch on the light even at daytime. The lights are usually shut down.

There is a big celler window but that's 6 meters away. There is not extremely much light shining into. If I wanted to read in the room I had to switch on the light even at daytime. The lights are usually shut down.
Can you set up a light on a timer in your basement, not too far from the tank- so you can simulate daytime? That might help a crepuscular animal (you have an aculeatus, right?) want to spend more time out of his den...

Thanks for the hint.
I'm not definitely sure what kind of octopus I have since Maurice is quite grey on this main color - a somewhat bright grey. The aculeatus kinds only match to a certain degree. Again it was sold as octopus species / octopus kind unknown.

Any trace of nitrite means there is/was ammonia that is still being converted. Octopuses are very sensitive to both. I would worry that the tank is not cycled enough for the waste being produced.

If you are talking about hooking up an oxygen tank to an airstone to add to the water then yes. If you over saturate the water with O2 then you can hurt your animals gills. If you are talking about adding an airstone then you will probably be okay, but you should test with a sample of your water (500mL or something) and run the airstone in the water sample for about 20-30 mins full blast, check your pH after that and see if the reduced CO2 levels have raised the pH more than you'd like.

What about this? Harmful?

Attachments

• Eheim.jpg
    Eheim.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 184

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back