make your own

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I think I would make it with 8 arms, and make them longer and in more natural octo positions. It's cute, but I would like it a lot better if it wasn't so cartoony. Make the eyes more realistic, give it a funnel, etc....

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
baldtankman;128507 said:
Where do you buy it Jean?
I get mine from a local shop called art zone, but I would imagine most art shops or hobby shops (and I think warehouse stationary) would carry it. Also spotlight (if you have one in Wellington) carries sculpy.

Check out
http://www.dukit.co.nz/ for a list of suppliers

Cheers

Jean

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
sorseress;128509 said:
I think I would make it with 8 arms, and make them longer and in more natural octo positions. It's cute, but I would like it a lot better if it wasn't so cartoony. Make the eyes more realistic, give it a funnel, etc....
The only problems with the longer arms is that sculpy is a bit brittle when fired.

J

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Jean,
Have you ever tried putting it in water after it is fired? I want to make (since I can't find) an octo for a water fountain (I have a base) but don't want to mess with ceramics so this seems to be a good media if it will not dissolve.

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
I'm wondering how different they would look if you used the colored sculpey and if it would make it harder to paint on the details. I have a box of sculpey here so I may have found my way out of working on school work for the day :wink:

baldtankman

Wonderpus
Supporter
Thanks Jean, yeah Wellington has a spotlight and heaps of craft shops. Te Papa should carry something like this for squid kids!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
dwhatley;128534 said:
Jean,
Have you ever tried putting it in water after it is fired? I want to make (since I can't find) an octo for a water fountain (I have a base) but don't want to mess with ceramics so this seems to be a good media if it will not dissolve.
I haven't but I can't see that it would be a problem. Once it's fired its pretty impervious! I make beads with it and I've worn them swimming with no ill effect.

J

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
As in the instructions, you use sculpey. To make the ball you use the traditional method of rolling between two hands.

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
OH! So I've started making Squishmass tree ornaments based of this, but with the right number of arms. I made a couple on turkey day and once a get a couple more baked and glazed I'll post pics :sagrin:

babyb

Hatchling
Registered
Jean;128583 said:
I haven't but I can't see that it would be a problem. Once it's fired its pretty impervious! I make beads with it and I've worn them swimming with no ill effect.

J

i used to make scuptures with this clay and its all over in the warnings to not use the cookie sheet you use to harden them again for food so that leads me to believe there a toxin in them ... i wouldnt use them in a tank

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
babyb;128719 said:
i used to make scuptures with this clay and its all over in the warnings to not use the cookie sheet you use to harden them again for food so that leads me to believe there a toxin in them ... i wouldnt use them in a tank
Sorry for the confusion, I want to make a fountain octo for my living room table, not use it in a tank. It will be freshwater and no critters :biggrin2:(I will use my RO water though because the mud and minerals in our tap water ruins fountains).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mathis

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak