Little Chef's Reef

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Chef Reef, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Chef Reef

Chef Reef O. vulgaris Registered

Hi, This will be my first Cephalopd tank. The tank is an established 1 year reef tank. I have removed potentail stinging corals for the the octo's saftey. I will be Picking up my octopus later today or tomorrow. all i know is it will be a mid atlantic species. I havent decided on a name but for right now i will just call him "Little Chef" So here are a few pic's of the tank he/she/it will be staying in :)

FTS -

[​IMG]

Couple zoa's -

[​IMG]

A little cave i hope Little Chef will use -

[​IMG]

Where i think i will keep his foo. I think im going to keep it in his tank as some sort of activity. Right now there are only a few snails in the holding cell :P but there are a bunch of crabs roaming the tank and some large crabs in the sump in case i end up with a larger octo (hopefully not).

[​IMG]

Here is the lid to help keep him in. It's basicaly one of those zoomed steel screen tops that i cut holes in to put the overflow and return through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the sump there is a ASM - G3 skimmer as well as a phosban with carbon.

On my way now to go see what octo they got in for me. :wink:

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Duct tape is your friend. You will want to close the gaps between the screen and your overflow and return.

3. Chef Reef

isnt really a gap on the return but i will for the overflow. will duct tape handle the heat?

4. cuttlechris

cuttlechris Wonderpus Registered

looking good man. i like your huge colony of zoos. Where did you get your lid or did you make it? size of the tank? pic of the sump?

5. Chef Reef

Thank! :)

Size of the tank is a 55 gal.

The lid is a basic reptile lip from zoo med made for a 55 tank. they have em range from 10 - 90 gal tanks. i just cut some of the steel mesh out with a knife.

I will take a pic of the sump in a few days once i clean up under there :P I have alot of random stuff that i can't seem to find a home for that i am trying to get rid of to clear up space.

A little more detail on the sump though.
    It is a 30 gal oceanic AGA that i turned into a sump, it used to be my old tank before i upgraded to the 55. I have it set up so the overflow drains into a filter sock that i clean once a week. There is an additional 20+lbs of LR in the sump, mostely becuase i have no where else to put it and would like to keep it live. it also gives my two large crabs a home for the time being untill the octo eats it, that is if the octo can eat them. It has a ASM - G3 skimmer that pulls out pure black gunk (when i had fish). Also have a "Two little fishes" phosban reactor setup with carbon. and it is returned by a Rio 2500, which i plan to upgrade to a ehiem 1262 later on. I also plan on getting another phosban reactor for some GFO. At the moment i do not have a fuge but maybe when i get a bigger sump later down the road i will make it to include a fuge.

6. Chef Reef

Well fr the time being i will have to wait on Little Chef. All of these "suppliers" are not supplying after they promis this and that and promise on this date and that. It's a little harder than i thought finding the right octo. Hopefully some time next week or the weekend i will get one. Will keep you updated. :)

7. cuttlechris

Where are you ordering from? That's a good setup. I was actually looking into a different skimmer for mine because it's powered by a rio2100 and they have a tendency to self destruct. I didn't want reef to crash so i'm looking into the ASM G series. I'd like a mesh modded 3. Is yours modded? have you used any others like a 2 or 1?

8. Chef Reef

Iv been trying to go through LFS's. i figured they should be able to get them rather easy becuase i live in south florida. they are common to see in the stores but the ones i have seen just are not what im looking for.

I really like the asm's. Mine is not modded for a few reasons. the mesh mod iv heard good and bad things about. mostely having to clean the mesh like every month which i know i just wont do. the good out weighs the bad though. i jsut dont want to have to take apart the pump to clean it :/. I have tried the G-1 before. it is ok for a smaller tank. my father-in-law also uses the ASM G-1 or ASM mini, i can't remember, on his custom 40 gal with 10 gal sump. its pretty heavy stocked and he has no problems. Me personaly i could see myself with anything less then the G-3 on this tank. im too inpressed with it :P. That and i had to custom build my stand becuase none of the store bought ones could house this big thing, It's pretty tall.

If you did mod it i wod do the gate valve mod, and the mesh mod if you dont mind cleaning it. Also to do the recirc mod. if you do that you will have a BEAST of a skimmer. I just havnt got around to doing that with mine yet. i plan on adding another 1 or 2 sedra's to it.

9. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

Nice tank, I'm sure the octo will love it.

10. Chef Reef

I hope so. :)

11. Chef Reef

Well, no octo yet but I did replace the Koralia 3 (on the right) with a Vortech MP40W tonight :D. I still have the Koralia 4 on the left side though. Man that thing is awesome.. That's about it for updates so far, unless you wanna hear about my average, pretty boring, routine water change i just did :P

12. Lime

Lime O. vulgaris Registered

I really like that little food container thing. :) Only problem is that you might tempt your octo to see the food and his mouth will start watering then he will try to break into it lol. I dunno. :)

13. Chef Reef

he should be able to push up the screen a little to get in the container, which is fine becuase then he can eat when he wants and doesnt have to worry about his food hidding or escaping :). there will be a few critters running wild though but most his food will be in this "holding cell".

14. Lime

Yeah, thats pretty cool. I might even think about getting something like that for my tank. :)

15. Chef Reef

Little Chef is here!! He/she is being acclimated right now. i will take pictures later tonight or tomorrow. i have to go to class now and wont be back for 6 hours. i have the drip going really slow so hopefully it doesnt fill up before i get home. he is in a large critter keeper right now and my wife will keep an eye on it. i told here what to do if anything goes wrong or it fills up before i get back. now i just have to cross my fingers.

He was labbled "octopus" at the LFS... go figure. but he is a light brown with some interesting paterns but also changes to a solid darker brown with no paterens. It also eyes eye spots. and is about the size of my fist. ( im 6'4") to give you an idea of my fist. i cant see the mantle yet so couldn't tell you that. I hope people here will be able to identify him. also i live in south florida but i have no idea where it was colected. i really dislike the LFS i was at and normally don't buy livestock from them so hopefully everything works out.

16. Lime

Congratulations on the new octopus!!! :)

17. cuttlechris

congrats man check out my setup when you get a chance. fa sho.

18. Chef Reef

will do. I'm at school now and have a few mins before class, will give it a look. get pics yet of your sump?

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: Little Chef!

20. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:welcome: little one!